Do away with oiltank tube indicator | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter jd70
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1K

Discuss Do away with oiltank tube indicator in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jd70

Can I do away with the long tube oil indicator and if so how do I close off so no oil escapes

Depends what oil tube sight gauge you have.
Usually best & safer to have the entire gauge removed (if it is a separate gauge, & not a combined gauge/filter/valve as some can be).
Sometimes possible to turn off gauge & screw the part out of the gauge that the tube pushes on to & use a proper plug to keep it safe.
You can buy new tubing for gauge.

Depends what oil tube sight gauge you have.
Usually best & safer to have the entire gauge removed (if it is a separate gauge, & not a combined gauge/filter/valve as some can be).
Sometimes possible to turn off gauge & screw the part out of the gauge that the tube pushes on to & use a proper plug to keep it safe.
You can buy new tubing for gauge.
Thank you here is a photo DSC00441.jpgDSC00442.jpg

That is one of those combined gauges, (it has a small gauze filter plus a slotted screw valve as well as the tube gauge) but you also have a standard gatevalve fitted on the tank first, so it will be easy to work on it.
Personally, I hate the combined gauge & all that should have been fitted was a simple gauge as you have everything else there.
I would probably stay with the tube gauge & just renew the tubing if it discolours, but the oil filter can be joined straight to the iron bend & the pipe extended if you really had to remove gauge.
Get a professional to do any of this, as oil leaks can have serious consequences to your property & your neighbours & your home insurance.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your help. Once the weather is better will see to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If the boiler is connected to a conventional...
Replies
Views
Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
Thanks much appreciated , yes those isolation...
Replies
Views
Yes it’s doable but I suspect it wouldn’t be...
Replies
Views
Back