Do Floplast Anti-Vac Bottle Traps Work? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Do Floplast Anti-Vac Bottle Traps Work? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

R

Reed

I have bought one of these traps but there is no visible air admittance valve. Inside there is a narrow tube with one end in the water inside the trap and the other end going up to I'm not sure where. I cannot figure out how this is even meant to work.

I have never seen one on a flowplast , but that doesnt mean they dont make them , the antivac valve is a clearly on the top of the body of the trap and is approx 25 /35 mm diameter .

The whole point of my question is that Floplast say their trap is anitvac but it has no visible valve. Anything that is there is on the inside of the trap.

If they say it works and it receives positive reviews then what`s your point? Or take it back and buy a McAlpine.

I haven't specifically looked at a Floplast one, but I have seen plenty of anti-vac traps without the external aav. They just have an internal air by-pass tube as you describe. More than one way of skinning the cat.

The trap has been in place for about 8 hours; I have no reason to suppose that it does not work but i cannot figure out how it does work. One end of the "air by-pass tube" is below the water level in the trap. It's quite possibly something ingenious but if so then I really want to know how it works.

The trap has been in place for about 8 hours; I have no reason to suppose that it does not work but i cannot figure out how it does work. One end of the "air by-pass tube" is below the water level in the trap. It's quite possibly something ingenious but if so then I really want to know how it works.

The point of an anti-vac trap is to prevent some downstream negative pressure from sucking the water out of the trap.

In the trap that you have, there is way less water in the narrow bypass than in the main trap. If there is downstream negative pressure, it will suck the water out of the bypass first, and as soon as that is cleared, air can pass through the trap until the uneven pressure resolves itself. The the water seeps back from the main seal into the bypass and recreates the seal.

At least, that is my understanding.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks. I've found a rubber one so will give...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Only way to find out as above mcalpine make...
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the advice... makes total sense...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As an update, what I did was: Applied a blob...
Replies
Views
Back