Do I need an External Bypass Valve | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Do I need an External Bypass Valve in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have a POTTERTON PROMAX COMBI 28 HE PLUS A boiler which the manual states that the boiler utilises the primary side of the DHW plate heat exchanger as an automatic integral bypass.

I'm about to fit a Honeywell system which will place a TRV on all the radiators including the one in the living room which has the fixed position valves.

What I cant find information on is do I still need to fit an Automatic External Bypass Valve even though this Internal Bypass is mentioned. With the new Smart TRV's the condition will arise that all the TRV's close when no zone requires heating, turning off the boiler, but there is still the 3-minute pump Overrun to worry about.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Mike

If there is enough flow for the boiler to operate when producing hot water then there will be enough flow for the heating system by-pass through the primary side of the DHW heat exchanger

Hi

Thanks for the answer, It's been interesting starting to understand the internals of the boiler.

I can see how this could act as a bypass during heating operating when TRV's start closing in and flow through the boiler reduces below the boiler required minimum flow.

I'm looking at fitting a Honeywell Evohome System, and for a fact at some point whether due to a TRV fault, a TRV requiring recalibration, or some other scenario, the Honeywell main controller is going to call for heat with no TRV's open. I was concerned that the internal bypass wouldn't be suitable to cover this scenario and that it might end up overheating or cycling too often or some other damage. There will be TRV's on all radiators.

There is also the 3 minute overrun after the boiler is called to shutdown. From what I can find on the Internet it's to allow the boiler to dissipate heat before stopping completely. Of course, half of what I read on the internet could be written by people with less of a clue than I have ;-)

Would this function still be carried out by the internal bypass?

Cheers

Mike

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I'm fairly sure that model doesn't need an...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Closing the loop... I replaced the valve body...
Replies
Views
Hi d36csr. You aren't a bicycle plumber are...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, think I'll have to, the 3 min overrun...
Replies
Views
  • Question
After some consideration 15mm plastic with...
Replies
Views
Back