Do NRV's reduce flow on gravity and/or need minimum pressure to work? | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Do NRV's reduce flow on gravity and/or need minimum pressure to work? in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Fitted a mixer tap and the mains forces it's way back up gravity hot. But the hot pressure is already very poor due to it being a flat with a combination cylinder on the same floor level as the tap. Carefully chose one that looked fairly modern (as customer wanted) but had good flow on low pressure (from previous experience having installed it before) and so am worried fitting a non-return valve may make currently reasonable flow very poor or possibly that it might not even have sufficient pressure to get through the non-return. I'd estimate there is about 0.06-0.07 bar at most on the hot (just over half a meter between tap and tank)

I suppose other option would be to source a tap where the hot and cold don't mix in the body/spout, that also has great flow on low pressure. Wouldn't know where to start

Thanks

It maybe ok for now but I’ve had them stick shut you could try a swing check valve

It won't work I wouldn't expect.
NRV's normally have a minimum pressure required. Most have the figures available. I think between 0.1 and 0.3 bar depending on make/type.
You need to separate the two as you said somehow. Two taps, independent flow mixer or tank feed the cold and have them both as poor as each other.

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
You want 0.1 bar taps.
Replies
Views
Thanks very much - a few things to try there...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It's a Viesmann combination boiler. No other...
Replies
Views
There's probably still air in the hot side but...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed system in our bathroom...
Replies
Views
Back