Do we still recharge expansion vessel with pump? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Do we still recharge expansion vessel with pump? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John_

Hi all, just wondering if it is still possible to recharge expansion vessel with hand pump on modern boilers? I swear I read somewhere it said that expansion vessel on modern boilers got special gas and not (or can't) be recharge. Just can't remember where I read this. Can someone clarify this? Thanks in advance. John

Vessel's come pre-charged with a rich Nitrogen gas charge (as it is an inert gas). All those that have a Schrader valve can be topped up with air using a foot or hand pump as required. All well & good but how much pressure do you put in & should the system be drained ??

Foot pump does the job providing you know how to keep the system at atmospheric :)

Always have the system drained so you get an accurate pressure reading on the schrader valve when pumping up again!

The best tool upgrade i made was from a foot pump to a regin one with a nice long hose.

ive got go look at an expansion vessel tomorrow which i suspect has lost charge, when charging do u isolate flow return at boiler, drain boiler and make sure aav is open?

Do you have to add any chemical into the system after charging? If so, how?

Last edited by a moderator:
ive got go look at an expansion vessel tomorrow which i suspect has lost charge, when charging do u isolate flow return at boiler, drain boiler and make sure aav is open?

It all depends on which boiler as to whether i touch the iso's or not!! Usually if the EV's gone so has the PRV. I usually leaver that open and let it run till it stops, then as I pump up the EV, it allows the water to escape and keeps the system pressure atmospheric :)

It all depends on which boiler as to whether i touch the iso's or not!! Usually if the EV's gone so has the PRV. I usually leaver that open and let it run till it stops, then as I pump up the EV, it allows the water to escape and keeps the system pressure atmospheric :)

Cdi's, 24i's spring to mind! Once and once only, it was on a balanced flue version as well nightmare to change!

Vessel's come pre-charged with a rich Nitrogen gas charge (as it is an inert gas). All those that have a Schrader valve can be topped up with air using a foot or hand pump as required. All well & good but how much pressure do you put in & should the system be drained ??

With nitrogen charged vessels, I assume u have to change to a new EV if it's discharged?

The only reason nitrogen is used is because it's an inert gas therefore it has no chemical reaction with anything, ie the rubber diaphragm, it basically prolongs the life of the vessel.

I always recomend changing vessel and prv if its gone flat. I find if you recharge it a few months down the line it will loose air again. If its lost air than there must be a fault with the vessel surely? I never ever touch the valves under the boiler, just knock the pressure off and then recharge

I always recomend changing vessel and prv if its gone flat. I find if you recharge it a few months down the line it will loose air again. If its lost air than there must be a fault with the vessel surely? I never ever touch the valves under the boiler, just knock the pressure off and then recharge

I actually carry replacement schrader valves and a tool for removing them! Bought the different types at halfords, replaced 1 so far lol

Cdi's, 24i's spring to mind! Once and once only, it was on a balanced flue version as well nightmare to change!

Yep for definite a nightmare to replace .... I've seen me solder a plug around the valve and fit an iso further down the pipe! The Isar valves are the same, don't touch them!

Yep for definite a nightmare to replace .... I've seen me solder a plug around the valve and fit an iso further down the pipe! The Isar valves are the same, don't touch them!

Nice one I'll bear that in mind!

Whats the tool? Pm us a link please. They hard to change?

I'll see if I can hunt it down ... It's a kind of all in one thing that cleans the threads as well!! Might get a picture to you! The schrader's re small dumpy one's by-the-way not the long thin things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

R
thanks mate.
Replies
Views
rahul sood
R
P
It's in the WB installation instructions under...
Replies
Views
Thank you - and thank you for pointing that...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Back