Dodgy boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Dodgy boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have got a vokera syntesi 29 that keeps tripping the RCD at the fuse board. There seemed to be no pattern to it, apparently it mainly does it in the middle of the night. Guessing when it fires up for preheat. But it also trips when either hot water or heating are running. It was even tripping when I turned the fused spur on to the boiler even with no demand. I called vokera who were next to no help as usual and very eager to get off the phone.

Any suggestions? Whats the most logical way to tackle this? There seems to be no pattern to it tripping, just some times it does and sometimes it will work fine.

I disconnected the supply coming from the spur and flicked on and off a few times and it was fine, but with the boiler connected just turning the power onto it can cause it to trip. I linked out the room stat, it has an inbuilt mechanical clock. I unplugged the pump, diverter and gas valve from the board and it still tripped some times when turning it on from the spur.

mfgs .... not familiar with the boiler but does it have the kind of common black actuator diverter valve?

It may be the RCD if you have an RCD tester you can check its not tripping below its rating, or voltage change to earth as you power the boiler up

mfgs .... not familiar with the boiler but does it have the kind of common black actuator diverter valve?

Black actuator that sounds like a mechanical clock when moving, if that makes sense. I'm not familiar with the boiler either, only worked on one of them before.

It may be the RCD if you have an RCD tester you can check its not tripping below its rating, or voltage change to earth as you power the boiler up

I dont have a RCD tester. I will check the volts going to earth on the next visit, how much of a change will cause the RCD to trip?

Basically, not sure if you know how an RCD works so excuse the suck egg's reply if you do. An RCD monitors for an inbalance between live and neutral. So if you have a short somewhere and current (above 30ma usually) from the live goes to earth or anywhere else that is not connected to neutral then the RCD will trip.

If the fused spur itself is fine, you could check all the 240v connections on the board, make sure there are no stray strands of cable causing a short, check the wiring loom for damage etc if not then I would say its the board itself?

Hope you sort it out

Black actuator that sounds like a mechanical clock when moving, if that makes sense. I'm not familiar with the boiler either, only worked on one of them before.

Just downloaded the mi's and it does have the actuator I was on about ...... Check to see if the diverter valve spindle is leaking ... I've had a couple on different boilers do similar with RCD's

The water tracks through into the motor housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
dv.550-diverter-valve-actuator-motor-br-2905-bi1101102-172505-2000801912-248733-5132452-997147-174-p.jpg
This is the boy I'm on about :)

I dont have a RCD tester. I will check the volts going to earth on the next visit, how much of a change will cause the RCD to trip?
There is no specific volts amount as its current which causes an RCD to trip but any change of voltage reading from off to on could indicate a leakage

Just downloaded the mi's and it does have the actuator I was on about ...... Check to see if the diverter valve spindle is leaking ... I've had a couple on different boilers do similar with RCD's

The water tracks through into the motor housing.

If it is leaking replace the spindle kit black head actuator and the wiring loom to it otherwise i could start again. I have worked alot on vokera boilers and had this happen to me.

If it is leaking replace the spindle kit black head actuator and the wiring loom to it otherwise i could start again. I have worked alot on vokera boilers and had this happen to me.

Can you get a service kit for the diverter Millsy 82? It's pay to stop the leak also :)

don't know if this has already been said, but check fused spur to boiler,had this before and it was loose neutral wire hanging out of spur every time boiler was turned on it was fine but as soon as a demand was created it tripped electrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
Your sensitivity, arrogance and ignorance are...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the input on this, much...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back