Does a toilet cistern need to be screwed to the wall? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Does a toilet cistern need to be screwed to the wall? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

payvpac

Hi, can anyone please help.

I am replacing the toilet in my ensuite. I have noticed that the new toilet I have bought does not have any holes in the cistern to screw into the wall.

The question is, does the cistern need to be screwed in? (The base is attached to the floor via plastic brackets)

If it does need to be screwed in, can the cistern be drilled easily or should I get a professional in for the job?

Thanks in advance

Picture of w/c would be good,if a budget w/c always the possibility of holes missing however a lot of the smaller style cisterns do not need screwing to the wall and thus do not have holes for securing,they just sit bolted to the pan,that should be secured to the floor securely,you can stick a bead of silicon alone the top inner rim if you wish(do not put lid on till it dry's or could stick lid down also!)

The pottery is not as heavy as it used to be and the flushing technic is different now,you are just giving a small push of a button at top,exerting a gental central downward pressure as opposed to the old cistern flushes that you were pushing down with a downward side ways presure ,quite hard,this required cistern to be secured

You can drill a cistern or ant pottery quite easily with the right drill bit

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
some dont even have holes to be screwed back with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks all, will try a bit of silicone. A budget toilet it is mind. Even the fixings that connect the cistern to the pan are nylon. Think I will go out and buy a decent metal screw fixing set so atleast the cistern will be connected to the pan securely.

thanks all, will try a bit of silicone. A budget toilet it is mind. Even the fixings that connect the cistern to the pan are nylon. Think I will go out and buy a decent metal screw fixing set so atleast the cistern will be connected to the pan securely.

modern small cisterns tend to be fine

Small line of silicone at the top of cistern,that way it can be easilly accessed and cut through if a removal is needed in the future

If there's no holes then it's a couple of dabs of clear silicone near the top (or where the screw holes would be) to help stabilise the cistern. These can be easily cut through in the future if it needs to be removed. Not like the one I had to take out where they'd used a full tube of silicone :)

A strip of good quality white double sided adhesive foam, the stuff used as draught excluder for doors and windows applied to the top back of the cistern, gives a flexible cushion and gives the right amount of space for the lid to fit snugly without it being tight to the wall.

Useful stuff too on bath panels and as a temporary seal at the base of bath shower screens that swing open due to the rubber seal being worn.

best get brass or a plated fixing that won't rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Another great option. Thanks very much. I’ll...
Replies
Views
C
Lusso is a load of Rubbish. There customer...
Replies
Views
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-3-8-in-C...
Replies
Views
Nope to silicon / putty I do it dry just...
Replies
Views
S
Pull the screw up whilst you untighten it.
Replies
Views
Back