Does anyone else's heart sink when.. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Does anyone else's heart sink when.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The customer wants a tiled floor, you pull out the existing chipboard flooring and find those god awful crap I-beam pre-manufactured joists they love to fit to new build houses these days.

Joists are all rattling about in the hangers, oh I have a fun day today trying to get a floor together that will actually be strong enough for a wetroom.

Joy :)

The customer wants a tiled floor, you pull out the existing chipboard flooring and find those god awful crap I-beam pre-manufactured joists they love to fit to new build houses these days.

Joists are all rattling about in the hangers, oh I have a fun day today trying to get a floor together that will actually be strong enough for a wetroom.

Joy :)

I hate tiling floors, in fact I hate it so bad that after the last one a couple of weeks ago I decided NO MORE.

Until the next one comes along and I have an empty diary.

Spent literally the whole day between 2 of us strengthening the entire floor. The whole floor now has 4x2 timber all the way across it between the tops of each 'fast joist' as they are called. Further 4x2 bracing underneath these timbers in places. 25mm plywood on top to bring it up to the same level as the other floors. It is certainly not going to be moving now.

All the 'fast joists' (They may be fast for the house bashers, certainly not for those who come across them later) were fitted with joist hangers that have been nailed in far too wide. Most of them had 6mm of wobble in them. Cue lots of shims.

And people wonder why I'm not interested in working doing new builds...

Did I mention, if the floor was a vehicle it would be a Challenger tank now.

I hate tiling floors, in fact I hate it so bad that after the last one a couple of weeks ago I decided NO MORE.

Until the next one comes along and I have an empty diary.

Have you tried a wetroom floor before? You would love them.

I-beam, are they those stupid engineering joists that have knockout holes that are only good for plastic plumbers threading like sparkys. ?

Yup that's the one. They are called 'fast joists' I learnt today. Problem is the knockout holes only allow you to run the wastes through level. Which is exactly what the plumber who did their ensuite done. Cutting out the old waste pipes to correct them was nice today, as you can imagine.

Funny you mention that, yes the plastic pipe is threaded through like cable, up and down all over the place. Nothing solid to clip it to in order to correct it either.

I realised soon after buying our new build that we have them in our house too, at 600mm centres. And I was wondering why the upstairs floor squeaks so much.

I hear ya, last one i worked on we got the structural engineer to give us the nod to where we could drill new holes ( because they didnt line up) and from memory it was only in the middle (some distance from knockouts blah blah) like steel joists. but the fall we were allowed wasn't very good at all. probably full of ponytails by now..

its even more fun pulling the chipboard up,looking for drops to add rads bloody boards are filler foamed to the joists

The chipboard got spotted at the quote appt and lets just say I priced accordingly. The wetroom is for a disabled customer so its zero rated for vat and I can claim back all my input vat. So I did the subfloor strengthening for free for them. Even Scottish plumbers have a heart!

joist hangers are pants, but are what has to be used in todays new builds which have party walls.

I served my time as a joiner and totally agree chipboard and eco joists are just pants if I had my way they would never be used.when chipboard started to get popular on new builds we did one house in floorboards and one in chipboard the floorboard was four hours faster to lay but £78 more expensive now we have nail guns it should be even faster to lay,I think builder use it because it's easier to store on site.

I hate nails with a passion. Everything gets fitted quickly and then 1-2 years later the nails in the plasterboard ceilings start working out, bringing the ceiling with them. Fitting plasterboard with nails would be banned if it was up to me.

Looks like I am going to have to purchase a load bearing wetroom tray as no matter what I do I cannot get a particular area of the floor under the tray to stop squeaking. The load bearing trays take all the load on the edge, off the bit that's squeaking.

Never again I say..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back