Dogs and Fireworks | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Dogs and Fireworks in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

wetdrip

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Well, I've been up since 2am this morning, as my dog's just not himself: Fireworks. Need I say more.
Anyway, I had a friend and customer come in our shop today, and said I looked knackered, which I did , and do, and am.
I've started to dribble from the mouth, and that's after three tins of Boddingtons.
I told him why I look so knackered. He left the shop and came back with some Fireworks pills given to him by his vet.
These pills are called Zylkene and should be given to your dog around two hours before you think people will be lighting-up the blue touch paper.
His vet calls them fireworks pills, as they have a calming effect on your animal.
Cost is around £60 for 20 pills. They look like ******, so be careful where you store them.
If your dog's having a hard time, I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Wouldnt be so bad if it was one night, dont like the idea of having to dope her up for all this week.

We've turned the telly up and she's comfy sat between us.

Wouldnt be so bad if it was one night, dont like the idea of having to dope her up for all this week.

We've turned the telly up and she's comfy sat between us.

If the tv is working then great but the pills have a calming effect much the same as some people need to take before flying.

One of mine, the eldest one isnt too fazed by them but the youngest one is shaking a bit and is very reluctant to go out for a pee

I try not to take my dog out this time of year cuz its not just fireworks she wants its slap up meal/drinks and pampering! Try to get away with just Christmas/Birthday! Lol

It's worth looking at Adaptil collars, plug ins or spray. You'll find them on Amazon. It replicates the smell of the mothers pheromones and can have a calming affect. It worked with Arthur.

Years back...my collie was going nuts at the fireworks.
tried calming her but she would just lie shivering ...wasnt good.
Next year ...she disappeared...diving about house couldnt find her in usual haunts...back gate was open...aaaargh.
Have a downstairs shower room...she had went in shut door ??? and went into shower cubicle and shut door??
lying there all smug with herself. :)

My Collie is just the same, he absolutely hates them.

The other question is what stops those same idiots storing a huge arsenal of fireworks at their homes?..... look what happened in Stafford the other day, that place really looked like it was suitable for storing loads of fireworks now didn't it!... NOT.
RIP to the 2 guys that lost their lives in it.

I've managed to ween all my dogs past and present off being fearful of fireworks...if you're with the dog and you manage to get a good i.e. no or very little reaction from a firework praise the dog. Timing and time is everything of course and a bit of luck, don't nurture the fear by comforting the dog when it's in a fearful or panicky state, praise it when it's calm.

I've managed to ween all my dogs past and present off being fearful of fireworks...if you're with the dog and you manage to get a good i.e. no or very little reaction from a firework praise the dog. Timing and time is everything of course and a bit of luck, don't nurture the fear by comforting the dog when it's in a fearful or panicky state, praise it when it's calm.

Yeah, mine used to be ok at first, but then a few years ago, started going mad with them. Daft thing is we've taken him to places where they've had 'battle' re-enactments and he's been fine with cannon and gunfire, but as soon a people start clapping that's it, he goes nuts!

We've been using Scullcap & Valerian tablets from a company called Dorwest for a few years with our dogs & seems to be quite effective - reasonably priced too. I've tried to post a link but it wont let me :(

my black lab sits on my steps (30 plus) watching them whilst the golden retriever runs round barking in fear, wierd! and bloody annoying especially when some ***** sets of a couple at 1 am every bleedin night for the last couple of weeks. Mind you the retriever woke us up at 2 am last week, no fire works, he heard the house down the road going up, completely gutted luckily the firebrigade had just arrived, took 6 engines 5 hours to knock it out, family ok but not a stitch left.

Similar plumbing topics

1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Just a guess, but you may find that the...
Replies
Views
Back