Done my first combi swap today! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Done my first combi swap today! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Well I have been with this firm for 5/6 weeks now and I have been going out with the lads going from job to job, helping out and earning my money. It's been tough going, very intense and I'm shattered haha. Got sent out on m own today to do a combi swap, worcester si boiler. Fairly straight forward and the hardest thing was getting the old boiler off the wall, lost a bit of time doing that but life would be no fun if everything was easy. My manager came down about 3 and gave me a hand finishing off he done the condense while I got the PRV sorted and he ran through the commissioning with me.

Giving up most of my weekends this year to get experience helped me get my tools together but never really got enough hands on but I'm improving every day and getting good feedback. In an ieal world I would be doing boiler after boiler to get the experience but been doing lots of rads, pipework etc and it's all good stuff to see how it all goes together.

All in all a good day, there's another 2 jobs lined up for me but the dates have not been confirmed. My feet haven't touched the ground but I think another few weeks I'll be at the stage where I can walk in to a job and know straight away what I'm going to do without flapping. Going from clueless to doing a combi swap on my own in a few weeks I think is good progress.

good to hear its all going well ash as you say repertion is the way you learn once youve done something a few times it gets easier till you do it on auto pilot

Well done Ash, goes to prove you are willing to work hard, keep an open mind, observe and ask the right questions.

I see a successful career ahead for you.

FairPlay mate. Sounds like you've found yourself a nice firm with nice people to work for. When you first start out its worth more than money in my opinion. When I first started I was on good money but had no back up and it was pants.

I left there sharpish to a new firm but for less money but learnt bucket loads. In your first few years its good to have some one to rely on and get up you out the brown stuff should you get in bother.

Its actually really nice to hear of someone doing well for a change and working hard to get things done.

Give yourself a pat on the back my friend.

I couldn't do half the stuff I can no had I not had a few lads to call and even come with me on jobs if i wasn't sure. The only way you learn is to get stuck in and getting stuck in sometimes means messing up but you learn everything from your mistakes and as long as you have an understanding boss you'll be sweet.

Well done mate. :)

Well done Ash. 5 weeks in and on a swap yourself is good going. I was just into 3rd year before i was released on my first heating job then the money took grip and there was no turning back.
Don't knock the rad hanging and running pipes.
It is all experiance that will help you out in the long run.

Btw after a year you should be able to hang and dress a rad in under 4 minutes. 7 rads on the wall and dressed and the kettle boiled and coffees out by half 8 :wink:

Well done Ash but flapping for me never goes away. Came out of my time in 88 and still was loosing sleep the other night about a combi swap today but can only say the fear keeps away the complacency.

Nice to hear you're doing well Ash, as others have said it sounds like a good firm and you learn far more from your mistakes, so it's good to have a group of guys behind you if it all goes Pete Tong (and it will from time to time, even for experienced folk)!

Cheers guys! Complacency will never set in but I look forward to reaching the stage where I have the confidence to take a step back and think about the task in hand and be able to think of a solution on m own. Hoping to get at least 1 boiler swap a week to do myself from now on, I enjoy being at a job on my own where I have to think for myself and can organise things my way.

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray: Well done Ash, and don't worry mate, we all still have these moments! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Well I have been with this firm for 5/6 weeks now and I have been going out with the lads going from job to job, helping out and earning my money. It's been tough going, very intense and I'm shattered haha. Got sent out on m own today to do a combi swap, worcester si boiler. Fairly straight forward and the hardest thing was getting the old boiler off the wall, lost a bit of time doing that but life would be no fun if everything was easy. My manager came down about 3 and gave me a hand finishing off he done the condense while I got the PRV sorted and he ran through the commissioning with me.

Giving up most of my weekends this year to get experience helped me get my tools together but never really got enough hands on but I'm improving every day and getting good feedback. In an ieal world I would be doing boiler after boiler to get the experience but been doing lots of rads, pipework etc and it's all good stuff to see how it all goes together.

All in all a good day, there's another 2 jobs lined up for me but the dates have not been confirmed. My feet haven't touched the ground but I think another few weeks I'll be at the stage where I can walk in to a job and know straight away what I'm going to do without flapping. Going from clueless to doing a combi swap on my own in a few weeks I think is good progress.

Haha struggled to get old bolier off the wall yep can relate to that ,

bit baffled tho how your gsr and never done combi swap or getting shown how to comission?

wouldnt this be on portfolio???

Haha struggled to get old bolier off the wall yep can relate to that ,

bit baffled tho how your gsr and never done combi swap or getting shown how to comission?

wouldnt this be on portfolio???

I have done combi swap 'supervised', this was my first time going out on my own. Also I have done full commissioning before. My manager just went through it with me to make sure I was familiar with this particular FGA and the boiler controls etc. Put a lot of pressure on myself and don't want to make mistakes or miss something trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Looks nice and neat good job yea leave the...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
Yeah DuoTec offset, it was the Eco Elite that...
Replies
Views
Back