downspout into soil stack | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss downspout into soil stack in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buff

standing outside a house in chester noticed the rain water downspout ran straight into the soil stack,it was the just above the wc waste outlet
is this legal
bob:confused:

Rain going into soil is fine - it's the other way that's rather iffy.

Hi. There are two problems with this practice.
1. Separate systems for soil and rainwater are employed to avoid overloading treatment works during wet weather.
2. The smells associated with soil/sewers will be vented at gutter level, which in most cases is near to opening windows. Which can become a health hazard to whose using the property.

As far as I am concerned they all end up going the same way under the ground...the only consideration I would make is to the smell venting at the top of the downpipe

Some households get a rebate on their water bills if the rain and foul water are kept separate

centralheatking

Current regs don't allow this, at least in my area but if it's already plumbed in then there's no obligation to change (thank goodness!)

depends how old the house is. a lot of houses used to operate on a combined system of foul and rainwater. the advantages being that the addition of rainwater kept sewer blockages to a minimum, disadvantage being higher costs of water treatment.

KJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
No problem with the 900mm from openings as it...
Replies
Views
Yes it’s doable but I suspect it wouldn’t be...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I think its a case of stick with the...
Replies
Views
D
As above pictures help a lot. The open vent...
Replies
Views
Back