Downstairs toilet | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Downstairs toilet in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Liam - Trainee

Hi all

My parents have an issue with there downstairs toilet which i hope someone can help me with!

The toilet has not been used for a v.long time, and the issue is that the toliet will not flush! (direct action, handle flush). Theres water in the pan and when i removed the cistern lid its full of dirty water (and spiders..) When pulling the handle the lever and vertical rod is moving up but no water goes into the pan...Im assuming the disc is stuck which is not allowing the water in or something is blocking it.. My problem is i cannot access the disc to check this is the issue..

Any ideas on how to gain access to the disc or even remove the whole mechanism??

thanks in advance!!

Liam

Hi

You need to inspect the flapper which i think you are calling a disc?

So it looks like reomving the syphon

Why cant you do this? is the toilet concealed?

Unless the handle has come away from the arm, i would suggest its the siphon washer.

Hi plumbstar/plamber

sorry i do mean the flapper.. How do I remove this to inspect??

The handle is still attached to the arm so I'm assuming it's the flapper..

I've never heard of anything being called a "flapper". maybe its cos im from north scotland. what is it?

Is there an easy way of taking the syphon out??? I've dunked my arm in and had a fiddle around and give it a bit of a pull but can't seem to remove it!

Only thing I got was a spider!!

Not unless its a 2 part siphon. if not i'd suggest fitting one instead of changing its washer. just means it should be an easyer job next time.

Hi,Isolate supply. Undo large nut at base of cistern. Remove syphon, remove only moving part and buy or make a diaphragm washer. (mimic that what you find) Re fit.Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Managed go get a bucket full of baby wipes out...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate for the reply. Unfortunately the...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much! Gets me off the hook! Let...
Replies
Views
Back