Drain Clearing work. is it worth getting into? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Drain Clearing work. is it worth getting into? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

A

amadgwick

Hey everyone i thought i would ask for some advise.
I've been a qualified Plumber for just over 2 years now and i am getting a lot of
inquiries asking if i do drain maintenance/ cleaning. I've had a look around and to be honest i dont know what to get?
Do i get drain rods, a snake, machine, jetter. I'm kind of stumped.
do i start off small or shall i spend a few bob and go all out?

As ecowarm you can clear most blockages with rods, jetting equipment costs a small fortune, you need to clear a lot of drains to get your money back, and their's loads of drainage Co already. Unless your the only one for miles around stick to the good old rodding method.

Cool Cheers Peeps. How about drain snakes, are they worth there spend. I've been looking at the rospi drill type cleaner. its about 200quid. Does anybody use these on the forum...could you give me some pointers before cough up the cash?

Why are you so keen to throw your money away ? How meny block'd drains and waste pipes do you get ? say every Mth ! Ive had 1 blocked WC in 18 Mths, If you want a sani-snake why one thats on a motor, Ive had a hand opperated one for 20 years used it about 10 times, think it's just paid for its self, so for me not a lot of money in drainage ! some do well with it, but will depend on were you live and on competion ! look in yellow pages see how meny drainage Co are in it, Spend £20.00 on some rods, easy to keep on van and a quick return on your money + no running costs, apart from the odd rubber end.

Set of drain rods with a 4" and 6" plunger is all you want. Possibly a lunger for loos as well but that's it. Anything you can't clear get in the boys with the big machine. Try to work out a commission deal for referrals.

I bought a set of rods from screwfix £30 back in January.
So far I `ve had 3 jobs to unblock toilets/ drains, in total 6 hours work at £35 per hour- not a bad investment !

If the blockage is in the building then its the home owners responsibility, but in essex now its the water authority responsibilty now.

I thought this was the same across the country?

I am normally about 50/50 in whether i can clear a blockage with rods or call in the drain doctor. What happens if you are self-employed and this happens?

Thanks alot guys i think you've done a great job assisting me..I've decided to buy a drain rod kit for 15quid and bought a drain snake thing that you can attach a normal drill to which was 50quid. should be arriving tomorrow.

I have a pressure washer machine (a £800 commercial grade one not one of those £99 things from B&Q) with the flexi hoses and nozzles. Haven't really advertised it but I do get some regular work from farms and the caravan sites round here. You can earn a lot of money very quickly doing call outs to blockages - I charge £50 for the first hour and £40 for each subsequent hour and its cheaper than the big boys. Granted it can be an unpleasant job sometimes.

Drain snake is OK for shower and kitchen sink wastes but not for underground drainage where the money is.

Don't forget that if you use a pressure washer for drain cleaning you should be using it from a break tank unless it has an integral air gap somehow.

The hosepipe ban has been very effective down this way no ones used one to water their garden since they introduced it. I think some people have used them to siphon off the flood water though.

As I said above, contact a local independent and see if he will chuck a commission to you for passing him leads. Either that or have a relationship where he chucks any plumbing work your way and you chuck drainage work his way. That's the way I work with any drainage calls that I can't clear. If I can't clear a blockage within ten minutes it's not happening and I don't charge but pass them onto the drainage guy.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I...
Replies
Views
Back