draining a combi boiler - precautions | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss draining a combi boiler - precautions in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

uk1simon

Hello,

I moved home a month ago I'm going to replace upstairs radiators. I've got a glowworm 30ci plus.
Do I simply switch off the power and drain the system or is there anything else I should do?

I have painted,dirty bent pipes coming out from the floor and would like to change them for chrome pipes. I have not checked under floorboards how accessible the pipes are but do you usually cut off 10in or so and solder new pipes or use compression fittings?

Is this boiler glowworm 30ci plus a good boiler? Its been in the house for 7 years, will it last a few more years.
Typed the model in google and seems to me that people have quite a lot problems with this boiler.

any answers appreciated.

With regards,
Simon

3-5 years left in boiler at most. If it starts presenting problems may be cheaper in long run to replace it than keep throwing money at it.

If you solder chrome pipe make sure you file the chrome off the pipe end

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

if the system is very sludgy flush the boiler out before leaving it dry for a long period or you may find sludge dries and blocks the thing up.

I have just replaced all my radiators and can offer the following based on my experience:
if it is a sealed system, you will have to lock the pressure in the boiler, otherwise it will not operate and you wont be able to get hot water. i did this by closing the service valves on the c.h. flow and return pipes on the bottom of the boiler before draining the system. this also has the advaltage that the boiler wont dry out like AWHeating says above. i found that once you've done this you can drain pipework and do whatever you like and the boiler wont know any different. Just make sure to turn the C.H. off at the controlls though, other wise it might go mad as the C.H. water has nowhere to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks will let here leave it is
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Back