draining condencer boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss draining condencer boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike clarke

i have a leaking valve on one of thr radiators ,do i jst shut down boiler and open a drain plug, thanks mike

Hello Mike,:welcome:
it depends where the valve is leaking,
do you have to drain the system?
if its the gland nut leaking you can just give that a tighten and probably will be ok

Hi Mike, :welcome: to the forum .... Short answer is yep, turn off the electric to the boiler and drain the system. Longer answer is that there's a much quicker and potentially less problematic way but it involves turning of valve at the boiler and stuff ... ! I'd stick with draining down :) Don't forget to replace the inhibitor though :)

thanks simon for responding but i have tightend the nut up but still get abit of wet

thanks diamodgas but where does the inhibitor enter the system,if i drain it off and turn the water off when ihave changed the valve when you refill the sysem do i use the same proceduer as when you bring the system to the right pressure opening the two valves
thank mike

if you have a towel radiator in the bathroom i would put the inhibitor in that through the top fitting

Add it to any rad. Just keep both valves closed while you refill then undo either vent or cap and funnel it in

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You could also add it at the filling loop point if you don't have a towel radiator or the vent is inaccessible.

I once tried adding a cleaning chemical by removing a vent nut on a radiator and pouring with a make-shift funnel and hose. It didn't work as the chemical just poured back out! Ended up removing the double-check valve on the filling loop connection and pouring the chemical into the system there!

To make it easier, you could use a rapid-dose or express inhibitor by Sentinel/Fernox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't add inhibiter untill your happy you've fixed the leak. Fix the leak. Isolate a radiator preferablly a towel rail add inhibitor. Refill and pressurise system keeping note of the pressure gauge on your boiler. When your happy the leaks fixed, open the valves to the towel rail. PS ensure you vent the radiators as you fill and ensure you close the fill valves to your boiler as soon as you've finished refilling the system

thanks diamodgas but where does the inhibitor enter the system,if i drain it off and turn the water off when ihave changed the valve when you refill the sysem do i use the same proceduer as when you bring the system to the right pressure opening the two valves
thank mike

Regards refilling ... the answer is yes you keep topping up and venting until the system is full. It's handy to have an assistant at this point, saves running up and down the stairs :)

Lots of good advice above as to adding the inhibitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, Baxi Ecoblue System boiler...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a flexicom.cx that hasn’t been...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
Sounds like filling loop left open
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back