Draining radiator? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Draining radiator? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

I’ve got this radiator that I need to drain down & remove to clean out due to sludge. Can I drain it with that drain valve on the left because as you can see that it connects to the radiator but that pipe also runs along past the radiator on the right?
IMG_8220.jpeg

That will drain the whole central heating system as well

So the lockshield valve on the left was boiling hot but I noticed the thermostatic valve on the right was cold, is this normal? Both valves I had to unscrew the screw to take the plastic caps off & they both had the lockshield type turn.

That’s because it is a lockshield valve you tried opening the cooler one by 1/4 of a turn ?

That’s because it is a lockshield valve you tried opening the cooler one by 1/4 of a turn ?
Sorry what do you mean it is a lockshield valve? I know that normally one side is a lockshield & the other is a thermostatic but on this radiator when I took both plastic caps off they both had lockshield type spindles on both sides, only difference was the caps. As for opening the cooler one I did open it more but it stayed the same. I’ve had a check on my own radiator valves in my home & I also have a couple of radiators where the lockshield side valve is cold compared to the boiling hot thermostatic valves on the other side, so I was wondering if this was normal & supposed to be like that or a fault?

Sorry what do you mean it is a lockshield valve? I know that normally one side is a lockshield & the other is a thermostatic but on this radiator when I took both plastic caps off they both had lockshield type spindles on both sides, only difference was the caps. As for opening the cooler one I did open it more but it stayed the same. I’ve had a check on my own radiator valves in my home & I also have a couple of radiators where the lockshield side valve is cold compared to the boiling hot thermostatic valves on the other side, so I was wondering if this was normal & supposed to be like that or a fault?

You don’t have a trv on that rad just two individual lockshield valve

Ah ok I’ve never come across ones with two lockshields before but these are old radiators so it makes sense. As for one valve being cold compared to the other being boiling hot, is that normal or is something wrong?

Normal flow is the hot one colder one is the return

Cold side and normally 1/4 of a turn open

Depends if it was balanced I’ve had older rads fully open both sides

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Amount of play depends on the route of the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would keep the drain valve and change the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Who said anything about heating the kitchen ...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Doesn’t really answer any of my questions but...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Hi All, I have two sets of radiator pipes...
Replies
Views
Adam Rifat
A
Back