Drilling into a soil pipe joint | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Drilling into a soil pipe joint in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hello, is it unheard of to install a mechanical boss onto a soil pipe joint? The only part of the soil pipe that is above the line of the plasterboard is the joint and I was wondering if anyone has attempted to drill into it? I can’t find any answers online so I’ll assume it’s a stupid question.
Thanks

Hello, is it unheard of to install a mechanical boss onto a soil pipe joint? The only part of the soil pipe that is above the line of the plasterboard is the joint and I was wondering if anyone has attempted to drill into it? I can’t find any answers online so I’ll assume it’s a stupid question.
Thanks

I have never done it, nor heard of it, so personally wouldn’t recommend doing it. Is there no access to soil pipe? You can get bossed couplings. What are you trying to connect?

A picture would be perfect.

If it's a pushfit soil pipe then you'll most likely destroy the seal when you cut through.
If it's solvent then it may be possible, depends if the outer surface is flat and how big the Boss face is.

This is for a 1 1/2 shower pipe, I can access the soil pipe lower down but it will require new boxing in further down the wall and I was trying to avoid extra work if unnecessary! Attached is a picture of where I was aiming to attach the boss.

7138E4BF-2A50-4637-8060-2FEA7FB3B2EE.jpeg

I wouldn't.
I would make the extra effort.
It's one of those 'wish I hadn't bothered' jobs.
The diameter is slightly larger than the pipe inside it so there is a good chance the boss won't seal. On top of that, your boss lip will finish between the inner socket wall and the pipe. I know that may not matter to some but there is a 'wrong' element in my head about that one.

It's plastic, you can weld it using solvent or temperature so I would if it were mine but probably not if it was a customers without a signifcant proviso. Make of that what you will but I would not rely on it being soley a mechanical fixing for the reasons given above so take their advice.

Use a test piece and make double sure you use the correct plastic primer and cement. ;)

In short, yes you can do it.

I had to once and used a glue on strap boss, this wouldn’t reach around the larger diameter so I wired the two ends together ( it was the push/ ratchet type). I also made sure the 1”1/2 was well supported with strapband.

In your case I wouldn’t do it as you have an alternative.

Always think - if it fails in the worse case scenario, can I justify what I did. As you have s viable alternative I’d say you can’t justify it and I expect a loss adjuster would agree.....

Similar plumbing topics

No I wouldn't recommend you do that it will...
Replies
Views
A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
Should have added in, naturally there will be...
Replies
Views
If poss i would run to outside to stack.
Replies
Views
https://www.pipekit.co.uk/marley-hdpe-concentri...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back