Dripping flue, any thoughts | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Dripping flue, any thoughts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Called to a customers today to look at their boiler. It's installed in the loft with a standard 90° elbow out the top of the boiler and straight out the wall. Both inside and outside are sealed correctly and flue is set at 5° incline as per MIs. Problem is that on the inside of the 90° bend there appears to be no more than a drip but definitely some condense running back down to the top of the boiler where staining is evident. I have checked the joints of the flue thoroughly and am satisfied that they are tight and under no strain from the incline. Does anyone have any thoughts where this drip may be coming from?
On a funnier note I've never seen anything like this guys loft he has a plastic container under EVERY joint in the pipe work. Just in case they leak. It's a pressurised system so I asked what happens if the joint gives at the side or on top, I don't think he understood. Cheers all

Might well be the case, it was just the staining that concerned me a little

Nysk2008 apologies for sounding thick. I can with the use of a ladder but what would you be hoping that this would show?? I serviced the unit approx 7 weeks ago and was all ok. Basically i am concerned with where the liquid may be coming from which is not immediately obvious Thanks for replying

Ah now you've got me. Minds gone blank, I've done about 6 jobs today and they all blur into one. It's definitely an ariston on an unvented system and I believe it was only installed in 2007. Sorry I'm not much help its been a long day

it cool, don't worry, firstly imho aristons are sh**e, if you are able to get an FGA that would be good as Ive seen (not on an ariston) the inner flue corrode and condensate leaks down the air intake, obviously an ID situation but not seen many like that, if the flue seals are knackered this could cause water/condensate ingress. I would also be inclined as stoker said to make sure the flue is sealed correctly to the outside world as bad weather could cause a bit of water on top of the boiler. Id also check that if the flow and returns are run above the boiler make sure there are no weeps on the system and dripping down, I assume not though as the cust would have advised of pressure loss in the system. im pretty sure there is an fga test point on most aristons, make sure this is sealed and that some dick hasn't left it out. Not sure how long you have but run the boiler at full rate and see what you get, checking all flue, flue sealing, pipework etc. don't forget aswell the boiler is in the loft, do the have a weep on their roof? never rule it out buddy

That's a fair point re hole in the roof would explain the discoloured liquid. All the other things you mention are ok with the exception of the FGA which ill check in the morning, couldn't see an FGA point immediately but at the time I wasn't looking for one. Weird that it should be just on the underside of the flue pipe and nowhere else though. Cheers for your help though mate

Could just be condensation.

The lofts cold if its well insulated and your flue will be warm enough to condense the air?

Just a thought.

Thanks Armourer another good option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hello Duncan. Yes a shut off valve can pass...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Okay I’ll give it a try, thanks for your replies.
Replies
Views
If water coming from very top of boiler check...
Replies
Views
Its not totally straight .
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
Back