Dripping overflow T&P valve or expansion vessel? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Dripping overflow T&P valve or expansion vessel? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harj

Hi

I have a megaflo CL170 water cylinder, I noticed an intermittent drippingfrom the overflow pipe outside, I thought it could be to do with the air gap,so followed the instructions on the side to replenish it, however after havingdone this twice I noticed that the dripping had become even more constant,although it has stopped now.

I’m not sure whether the T&P valve is leaking on the cylinder or thedrip could be from the expansion vessel run off which also feeds into the sametundish. The expansion vessel I assume is for the central heating, the pressurereading on that is currently 1 bar. Presumably if the dripping water is hot itmust be the T&P value, if it’s cold it must be the expansion vessel.

Any thoughts?

Hi Harj
you have obviosley followed the instructions properly about recharging the air gap, If the T&P is still letting by then I suggest it is time to get a G3 registerd plumber in to find out what the problem is, as the problem could be serious and unvented cylinders are not to be messed about with

If the heating staying at 1 bar then it is from cylinder needs checking out and propably new t&p relief valve or new safey valve if you have the required expansion air bubble
Also if you where not aware unvented cylinders should be serviced every year by a qualified person

Thanks for the replies

The dripping has stopped, but only seems to start when the boiler comes on for hot water/heating. It's not constant either, I will keep an eye on it, I contacted a plumber who quoted £80 to replace the T&P.

I doubt the cylinder has ever been serviced, its about 7 years old.

What the usual life on a T&P valve?

OK, on another note should the heating system be pressured to 1 bar? Just wanted to know if there was a standard setting I should use for a 4 bedroom house.

OK thanks, could the leak with the T&P value explain why the upstairs shower (one floor above the cylinder) has poor hot water flow, even after resetting the air gap?

not really, check filters in shower and when you have the cylinder serviced make sure you have the pressure reducing valve and strainer checked to make sure hot water flow and pressure are not being effected.

could also just be poor water pressure? or non balanced hot and cold at shower maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

To fully recharge, the lowest hot tap should...
Replies
Views
Thermostat changed... With the new one, it...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Don't think that M.valves will pull in air...
Replies
Views
Expansion vessel undersized, blocked flexi to...
Replies
Views
Back