Dripping water inlet valve & leak where water inlet pipe meets bottom of the cistern. | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Dripping water inlet valve & leak where water inlet pipe meets bottom of the cistern. in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

B

Bluesman

Hi there this is probably one of those posts which will have all of you experts scratching your heads thinking 'we've got a right one here' but it's a problem that has been ongoing for a number of months because I'm not that confident about DIY and always worry I'm going to make matters worse by just ploughing in so here goes.

When the cistern is flushed the flow of water refilling the cistern slows down as it should but never stops entirely and I end up with a slow drip which of course eventually leads to water dripping constantly from the outside overflow if not flushed regularly. I've tried adjusting the ball float and arm but can't get it to stop dripping, could it be a worn washer and if so where would it be located?

Another similar question really only this time it's an external leak where the copper water inlet pipe meets the cistern. I have had to place a small plastic bowl to catch the drips that run down and off the pipe behind the pan. I can see a washer at the bottom of the inside of the cistern where the plastic pipe joins on from the copper pipe below now i assume that's the one i need to replace is that correct and if so are they a universal sizes or is it a case of trial and error?

By the way the cistern is around 20 years old.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Dripping water inlet valve & leak where water inlet pipe meets bottom of the cist

Probably be quicker, cheaper and easier to replace the valve.

http://m.NoLinkingToThis/p/fluidmas...g_AjR-3mg0feHGK4SLfH8miQqFQ5XyZC1caAv1_8P8HAQ

This one's a bottom entry, side entry are also available.

Buy a new 15mm washer for the tap connector that connects it to the pipework.

Re: Dripping water inlet valve & leak where water inlet pipe meets bottom of the cist

Hi there isolate your cold water flush the loo open cold tap to empty pipe work remove the old inlet valve (ball valve) take it to your local plumbers merchant buy a replacement and put back on the same way the old one come off . As its 20 years old probs the best thing to do also if it hasn't got a isolation valve on the pipe before the ball valve good time to fit one . If your not confident ask on here if someone is local to you its not a big or very expensive job .hope this helps

Thanks for the swift replies. I suppose if I was to replace the 'insides' this would hopefully cure both leaks because I'd be renewing both ends as it were?

I'd like to have a go myself but if I had to get someone in any idea of a ballpark figure I might be looking at, roughly?

if all goes well, diddly but if things go wrong omg, all depends on whether or not it takes 30 mins or 3 hours. ring round your local plumbers for an answer, some will offer an idea, others will offer nothing as they havent any idea of what could happen, some wont bother quoting for jobs like this and give an estimate only, depends on where you live London £150 Cornwall £35.............

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Those float valves are easily serviceable and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideally take the toilet out and shouldn't be a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, I think you're right in terms of stopping...
Replies
Views
It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
Back