Dual flush toilet problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Dual flush toilet problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gileshall

Hi

I know very little about plumbing so could really do with some expert advice please.

I have an ideal standard dual flush toilet. The half-flush button has just completely stopped working, whilst the full-flush button works perfectly! I have removed the cistern cover but am now stumped!

Any suggestions on what is causing this and how it can be fixed would be gratefully received.

Cheers
G:icon12:

Was the half flush button actually pressing on the " button " on the flushing valve. ( assuming it is not the cable type! )
A picture would help of inside cistern.

hi giles is it cable or pneumatic? i presume it is pneumatic i.e. two pipes attached to the back of the push button, if it is one of the pipes has either come off or got a split in it.

Thanks for your responses gents.

After removing the cistern lid, there are two sections forming one large mechanism. The half-flush is green and the full flush is white. I can press down with my fingers in the same way the buttons do and still the green half-flush part doesn't work.

I have removed the lid from the upstairs one (which is identical) to compere. On this one, when I push down with my fingers on the green half-flush part, the bottom of the mechanism raises up as it flushes. This does not happen with the broken one...nothing happens!

" Geberit " are a manufacturer of flushing valves that, I think Ideal Standard used them.
Often better to renew, & new one will just turn in to old base like a bayonet bulb.

Hi, as you have another toilet you could take it off and go to your local plumbers merchant to get a new one. On the inlet pipe at the side should be a valve, there will be a straight slot in it which when in line is open. Put a flat blade screwdriver in the slot and turn so it is at 90 deg to the pipe. The water to the toilet should now be off, check it by flushing the toilet and if it does not refill then you have shut the water off. Then as "Best" has said rotate the flush mechanism and it should release from the base. If you are successful then take it to your local plumbers merchant and ask for the same. You will get the full mechanism so you will need to release the flush part from the base and then put the flush part back in the cistern. Do not let them sell you something similar as it will not fit without dismantling the whole cistern, probably beyond you, no disrespect.

If everything goes pear shaped you may have to get a local plumber to help, but you have a second loo so no great problem.

Good advice from MickBrown about taking part to merchant.
Doubting myself now, but some flushing valves have 2 plastic levers you press to release valve body from base. Either way, bayonet or lever, you are better getting same replacement.

I'm pretty sure the flush mechanism here will be the type that has two plastic levers to push in the release. I took one of these apart the other day. If you are unsure then get a plumber in - it's not a big job.

Where abouts are you based?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

When you say 'cleaned the bottom of the tank'...
Replies
Views
You may also find pushing the button sharply...
Replies
Views
1/4" from the bottom of the cistern sounds a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you mean the screw fitting that holds the...
Replies
Views
Long and boring video of the flush but may be...
Replies
Views
Back