Dual heat only boilers on the same system! How, Why, When? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Dual heat only boilers on the same system! How, Why, When? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pongo

Gas Engineer
I've just done a service on a pair of Halstead Best 50's plumbed into the same flow and return. One boiler worked fine on controls. Both boilers required an extensive strip clean. The customer said no.1 boiler rarely seen on, all on no.2 boiler. Could not get any response from no.1 so tested a few items, fan, electrical mains switching. No nearer sorting it. Control wires for each hidden by trunking. Inlet pressure no boilers is too low and drops to even lower when boiler no.2 is working.

I've not come across this set up or trained for it so any help or advice on how they work together, how they are likely wired and when these systems are used advantages, dis-ads?

i always set one stat higher than the other and reverse every service to even out usage advantage is you have always got some heating even if one boiler fails disadvantage is double the cost for servicing

Are the boilers usually wired to fire at the same time on demand with one cutting out when temp is reached?

Just a cascade set up set one up as a lead boiler and the other as a lag boiler and as already suggested swap them over every year. On a basic set up you'd common a single switch live to operate both units.

If boiler has correct voltage to it and all components operating as it should but rarely cutting in I would suggest it is getting false flow from the other unit satisfying the boiler stat before the boiler had the opportunity to fire up

Check its getting flow, turn power off on number one put demand on and two should go to full tilt. If it's been poor hydraulic design boiler 2 may we'll be a sludge bucket

Thanks gasmanrob and ermintrude for your comments. I hope to go back in a day or two and get a have another look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, thanks for the reply, that did cross my...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Yes spot on need to have a look behind the...
Replies
Views
Yep I think that’s got to be the next step. I...
Replies
Views
A
Are you sure it’s still vented? Should have...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back