dualflush toilet problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss dualflush toilet problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Loblonde

Hi
I just moved into my flat which has a dualflush toilet. The toilet seems to flush ok but as the water in cistern gets to certain level water starts flowing into the toilet again.

I've managed to stop the horrible noise from the tank by turning the water off. What's wrong with my toilet please?:confused:

Sounds like the washer on the inlet has failed (which they do frequently).

Easiest thing to do is change the whole piece. When you buy a new one, note whether loo fills from bottom or side. If toilet was installed correctly, there should be a service or isolation valve just before the cistern, which means you can isolate the loo without turning off the water for the whole flat.

You'll need a new fibre washer too.

If it's a bottom fill entry, use a sponge to mop up all water from the cistern (and squeeze out into loo) or you'll have a little mess to clear up afterwards! If it's a side entry, this won't be necessary.

You'll need a screwdriver to isolate the loo supply, one or two adjustable spanners and if you have pump pliers this will make the job much easier.

Hope this helps.

I SPENT 2 & 1/2 HRS ON ONE THE OTHER WEEK, AND GAVE UP TRYING, it couldnt be repaired,.
if you grab the whole thing and give it a quarter turn it will come out (isolate water supply first).
when you take it out flip upside down and you will see a large rubber washer on the bottom. it is that not seating correctlyy but will look fine, it isnt.
take to merchant and match to new one and plug back in.
it may be not available anymore meaning you will have to replace the whole unit.
believe me you cant repair it.

Thank you both for help..unfortunately I'm going to have to get the plumber in as this is way over my blonde head!

There are a lot of assumptions going on here. It could be something as simple as a part 2 or 3 ballvalve letting by because of a diaphragm washer. In which case all the op needs is a washer costing pennies and a flat screw driver.

Loblonde can you take a photo of the inside of the cistern for us?

Hi
I just moved into my flat which has a dualflush toilet. The toilet seems to flush ok but as the water in cistern gets to certain level water starts flowing into the toilet again.

I've managed to stop the horrible noise from the tank by turning the water off. What's wrong with my toilet please?:confused:

what you talkin about musshy?.
its not the ball valve, its the flushing mech'-valve:p

You have to be right Mushy
Its the ball valve letting by and the water is simply running out through the integral
overflow
(integral to the syphon)

hmmmmmmmmmm.
see what you meen now,
could the float screw need closing down a bit?.
what type is it part 2 ball valve?.

The horrible noise when filling makes me think it's a split diaphragm washer.
We need to know what's inside the cistern. If it has a dual flushing valve it'll probably have a torbeck in which case the OP will need an equilibrium diaphragm washer, not a regular kind.

had one the other day where the plastic syphon had snapped at its base but within the cisten. Same symptoms. Only the weight of water holding it in.
Really need to see the cistern and its innards, hard to guess when there are so many varients out there.

When you turn the water supply on the blue float will rise. When it gets to a certain height, the water stops coming into the cistern. That's how it's meant to work.

If you turn the water supply on does water still keep coming in when you pull the arm/blue float up? If the water doesn't stop after a second or two (or three) then the water inlet has a fault (as described in the above posts).

If this is the case, I think it's much easier to change the whole assembly rather then changing the washer, especially if you haven't much experience of plumbing.

If the water does stop when you pull it up, then you need to turn the blue float so it sits further down its shaft. The water level will be lower than the internal overflow.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it just me or is the float actually under water?
looking at the pic it looks like the float isnt floating :confused:

Hi, Loblonde. This is what you do.

Turn off the water to the cistern either by the stop tap (probably under your sink) or by closing the service valve (with a flat screw driver) on the pipe going into the cistern.
looks like this:
picture.php

With the water turned off turn counter-clockwise the plastic nut here:
picture.php

Inside you'll find on of these:
picture.php

Take it out and note which way it went in. Go down b&q or where ever and get a new one. It's called a torbeck diaphragm washer.

Pop it back into the valve, tighten the nut up again and turn the water back on.

Bob's your mother's brother and you've saved on calling a plumber.

mushtbees plumbing college.
enroll now 60k pa
course material supplied by m,bees

hi dont no if you have already got it sorted, but it sounds like your float needs ajusting on the fil valve.

hi dont no if you have already got it sorted, but it sounds like your float needs ajusting on the fil valve.

If you look at the photo the water is below the water level mark in the cistern and the level being too high doesn't account for the noise.

If you look at the photo the water is below the water level mark in the cistern and the level being too high doesn't account for the noise.

????????????????????????????????????????
who's toilet is this in the pictures??????????????:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
B
If by 'slow flushing' you mean, when you...
Replies
Views
C
Hello My toilet flush is busted. The tank...
Replies
Views
Chris P
C
Back