Dunsley / Baker Neutralizer - Removed Back Boiler. What to do with the Neutralizer? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Dunsley / Baker Neutralizer - Removed Back Boiler. What to do with the Neutralizer? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blodwinator

Hi, new here - hope I have posted in the correct section.

When we moved in to this property there was a open fire back boiler and Oil fired central heating system all connected up together via this Dunsley / Baker Neutralizer. The back boiler would heat the radiators (Just!) and slightly warm the hot water in the cylinder. I believe we have an Open, vented system with small header tank.

We have now removed the old open fire place, opened out the original builders opening and fitted a multi fuel stove. In the process we removed the old back boiler (Turned off the water supply to the header tank) and slowly drained it all down and removed the return and flow pipes to the back boiler from Dunsley / Baker Neutralizer.

I made up a small loop circuit for the Dunsley / Baker Neutralizer in place of where the return and flow where for the back boiler, but access was very tight and some of the fitting are now leaking slightly.

My question is, does it have to be loop circuit or can I just fit threaded caps to the two outlet/inlets or does the Neutralizer needed to 'see' a return and flow?

Please, any help much appreciated as I only want to have to drain it down once as its very awkward!

I've got some images but cant see the link or attach them.

Re: Dunsley / Baker Neutralizer - Removed Back Boiler. What to do with the Neutralize

Take it out completely and go fully pumped heating and hot water. S plan would be my preference.

Re: Dunsley / Baker Neutralizer - Removed Back Boiler. What to do with the Neutralize

If you're just on the one heat source now there's no need for the neutraliser which is basically a neutral point in the system.
You can ether plug the ports from the old back boiler or remove the neutraliser entirely. Depending on what Oil boiler you have (and what the pipework is like), you could either pressurise or keep it OV.
If the pipework, rads and boiler are old I would consider keeping it open vented. You can still do away with the neutraliser if you like, just make sure the cold feed and vent arrangements are correct.

Take it out completely and go fully pumped heating and hot water. S plan would be my preference.

Hold up, in Laymans terms? S Plan?

In an ideal world i'd like a sealed system with a Combi boiler that heats the water as/when there is demand to do away with all the gubbins we have, but we had quotes around £5,600 to do it, so its been put on the 'To do' List!

Any thoughts regarding the blocking off of the inlet/outlet for where the Back Boiler was plumbed in to the Dunsley?

I just want to fix the slightly leaking pipework for good as thats something I can do without the need for professionals.

If you're just on the one heat source now there's no need for the neutraliser which is basically a neutral point in the system.
You can ether plug the ports from the old back boiler or remove the neutraliser entirely. Depending on what Oil boiler you have (and what the pipework is like), you could either pressurise or keep it OV.
If the pipework, rads and boiler are old I would consider keeping it open vented. You can still do away with the neutraliser if you like, just make sure the cold feed and vent arrangements are correct.

My post is pending approval - ideally we would replace the boiler, pipe work etc and go for a sealed system. The boiler is an old Boulter Camray 5.

I'm happy to plug the inlet/outlet on the Neutralizer where the Back Boiler was connection - I just wanted to check this was ok and wasn't going to make the thing explode!

We had quotes around £5,600 to replace our current system with a Combi Boiler that heated water as we needed and would do away with all the pipework for Neutralizer and get rid of the hot water cylinder. It was out of our budget, so we bought the multi-fuel stove instead.

I shall drain down the system again and block the inlet/outlet on the Neutralizer if that is all good?

What rust inhibitor is good?

If you. Don't know what an "s" plan is , then the job is over your experience.

The system will work best if it firstly complies with hetas regs and secondly is fitted to comply with one of dunsleys drawings that they have on there website, so much additional safety limit stats and requirements will be needed now, fibreglass header tank with copper float etc

Hello Blodwinator, welcome to the forum. Out of interest, who fitted the stove you bought? From your posts, it looks like your best bet is to call in a professional to sort things out properly. Not what you want to hear, but is the best option.

5600 to supply and fit a combi. Ouch.

How many bathrooms, how many rads?

Its a 1 and half story cottage. 1 shower in bathroom and 8 radiators.

It was a local company who fiited the stove but I removed all the back boiler plumbing to the neutralizer.

Could anyone recomend a plumber in the Inverness area ?

5600 to supply and fit a combi. Ouch.

How many bathrooms, how many rads?

Post's like these, always make me wonder why more ''members of the public'' visiting/using this forum make no effort to get quotes from here? It is not as if they do not know the site exists??? Arrrrggghhhhhhhh

Hi, when getting quotes I looked on Google and yellow pages for local plumbers. A few never turned up and 1 just wanted to sell me a bio mass boiler but quoted £5,600! I wasn't aware of the forum till searched about my neutraliser priblem.

If you know any plumbers around Inverness let me know there details.

Post a link in the looking for a plumber section, if not one of the guys is probably near and can sort a price out.

If I was near would come and take it all out for scrap rights :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds weird that the oil boiler can put heat...
Replies
Views
Your going to need to call the installers back
Replies
Views
Back