East London Plumbers (TradeTek/Rightio) - Have I been scammed? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss East London Plumbers (TradeTek/Rightio) - Have I been scammed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angryguy

I asked for a plumber to look at a faulty bathroom mixer tap and replace a toilet seat. The price was £109+VAT ph (London) which although high was the cheapest a quick search yielded. The guy puts the toilet seat on but says the tap can't be fixed and I need to get a new one and call them out again. I ask how long it should take and he says 30 minutes. I say £109 seems a bit steep for 30 minutes work and he offers me a reduced rate of £74+VAT ph. A bit annoying that I paid £109+VAT to put a toilet seat on but figure it's my own fault for not big prepared and having a new tap ready.

I get a new tap and call them out again. He calls me at 11.30 and I go and let him in to my gated car park so he enters my flat about 11.35. At about 12.40 he goes back to his vehicle to get the invoice. He coms back fiddles around a bit with the tap and gives it to me to sign at 12.50. At this stage he had not put the cost on so I asked him to do that first. I get charged £148+VAT as he went into the second hour. I had a look in on him every now and then but can't tell if he was time wasting at all (although he didn't appear to be moving particularly quickly). It just strikes me that there is a huge incentive for the plumber to finish near the start of an hour.

Have I been scammed? Is there anything I can do about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to check the times you've posted and correct them first?

You knew the cost up front, what do you want? Forget it an move on.

Find a guy you can trust through recommendations from friends, neighbours or colleagues. Then next time you wont have to play pot luck on the internet.

You knew the cost up front, what do you want? Forget it an move on.

Find a guy you can trust through recommendations from friends, neighbours or colleagues. Then next time you wont have to play pot luck on the internet.

Based on the first guy's estimate that changing the tap would be a 30 minute job I was anticipating it to be done within the hour. It is my suspicion that the work was deliberately dragged out in order to bill for a second hour that concerns me rather than the hourly cost.

Seemingly you have grounds for being angry.Having been offered a reduced rate of £74 they 'take it back 'by making sure they reach the second hour.Probably not the sort of people you would employ again ,but they probably don't care ,their business model doesn't seem to be based on customer satisfaction.You could try their customer service but you would be relying on their good will which I suspect may be non-existent.As advised try to find a local tradesman you can trust.

Last edited:
Next time you need something done, give me a shout. I am in East London and don't charge anywhere near that price!

Good Afternoon,
I am the Quality Manager for the above company and I am sorry that you have concerns with our services. Can you provide me with your job number to enable me to investigate further and contact you in regards to the above.
Many Thanks
Tradetek

somehow i don't think he will be back having vented his spleen.

I agree but I thought I'd give the company concerned the right of reply when modding their post.

Actually scary how many companies like this look at posts on UKPF innit!

lol it's like they pay someone to do nothing but go on forums all day

That wasn't £109+VAT per hour was it?..not for a toilet seat?
Damn, i honestly couldn't sleep at night :O

tradetek use subbies to do all their work. he was probaly winging the job out to get paid more.

I agree but I thought I'd give the company concerned the right of reply when modding their post.

Actually scary how many companies like this look at posts on UKPF innit!

I have my doubts? But will leave it at that!!!!

Good Afternoon,
I am the Quality Manager for the above company and I am sorry that you have concerns with our services. Can you provide me with your job number to enable me to investigate further and contact you in regards to the above.
Many Thanks
Tradetek

How did Tradetec know it was their staf/company who fecked up? In as much as the OP was scammed, I do not feel sorry for him/her? As has been pointed out, they were told the hourly price in advance but were willing to go with it?
AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE AND WILL SAY IT AGAIN: WE GIVE FREE HELP ON HERE. THE OP AND MOST WHO COME ON HERE TO COMPLAIN KNOW WE EXIST AND CAN PROVIDE TRADESMEN/WOMEN TO DO THE JOBS THEY HAVE, but guess what? They get someone else to do the job, then come on here to complain??????

A fool and his money ......

Why do people think you need a plumber to fit a toilet seat? A chimpanzee could fit a toilet seat

Not if it's a back to wall pan that has to come out to get to the fixings.:)

Well when you buy a house that looks nice because of things like that and concealed cisterns people should take into account that when a builder needs to fix it the price will be higher.

This one couple had a toilet that would not flush, problem was it was a new build, cistern was bonded to tiles with some kind on UniBond. The tiles were direct on plasterboard so I had to cut a section out of this couples wall and re plasterboard it. They called me a year later to fit a new sink, they still to that day did not find the exact tiles to replace from the company that sold them the house. I think a siphon ended up costing them thousands re doing the plasterboard and tiling.

I asked for a plumber to look at a faulty bathroom mixer tap and replace a toilet seat. The price was £109+VAT ph (London) which although high was the cheapest a quick search yielded. The guy puts the toilet seat on but says the tap can't be fixed and I need to get a new one and call them out again. I ask how long it should take and he says 30 minutes. I say £109 seems a bit steep for 30 minutes work and he offers me a reduced rate of £74+VAT ph. A bit annoying that I paid £109+VAT to put a toilet seat on but figure it's my own fault for not big prepared and having a new tap ready.

I get a new tap and call them out again. He calls me at 11.30 and I go and let him in to my gated car park so he enters my flat about 11.35. At about 12.40 he goes back to his vehicle to get the invoice. He coms back fiddles around a bit with the tap and gives it to me to sign at 12.50. At this stage he had not put the cost on so I asked him to do that first. I get charged £148+VAT as he went into the second hour. I had a look in on him every now and then but can't tell if he was time wasting at all (although he didn't appear to be moving particularly quickly). It just strikes me that there is a huge incentive for the plumber to finish near the start of an hour.

Have I been scammed? Is there anything I can do about it?

its only a toilet seat , not a emergency , you could have searched & called any local guy ,,

im also based in East London ,,

its only a toilet seat , not a emergency , you could have searched & called any local guy ,,

im also based in East London ,,

Some people don't like to wait and squat.......I'd rather use a carrier bag then pay that much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Oh dear, welcome to the forum, I will move...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You were lucky they bothered to show up. At...
Replies
Views
S
hi! I'll try to upload a picture but the pipe...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
For the job you have described materials are...
Replies
Views
Back