ECV's in flats | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss ECV's in flats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening,

Can someone please clarify the regs on ECV's in flats for me as my head hurts :confused:

Reading my G1 book, it states that an ECV should be fitted to the installation pipe where it enters the building where the meter is sited 6m or further away from the building.

I have a large block of flats that all have meter boxes doted around the perimeter of the building and lovely yellow gas pipes running up to each flat.

So how do I interpret this 6m away? it states from the building, well the meters are all on the perimeter of the building, so not less than 6m away, but obviously the meter is more than 6m away from the top flats.

Some have ECV's located within the flats with a test point, and others don't.

So is it 6m from premises, 6m from each flat, and if so is it 6m from the front door to the flat or 6m in any direction you like??!!

clear as mud hey :)

I read that thread, but again, no clear answer in my eyes.

basically m8 any meter over 6m away from the property has to have a secondary ecv at a point were it enters the building on the inside, i would only interput 6m from ground level flats, and any meter on any other floor on most buildings is further than 6m. so therefore should have ecv on building entry, its all to do with access in emergency so it makes sense if ur a camel ride away. personally i like an emergency control valve even in my house

Last edited by a moderator:
the "6m rule" is from the meter ECV to the point of entry to the property, so there are plenty of ground floor flats and houses that require an additional ECV depending on the layout of the prop, eg an external meter 4m from the original back door of the prop doesnt need one (like 99% of properties) however if the property gets an extention or conservatory which means the new door is now more than 6m from the ECV it now requires an additional ECV, as said most upstairs flats will require an additional ECV depending on the position of the front door to the ECV, but some have the meter next to the door at the stairs which can be classed as the point of entry

Evening,

Can someone please clarify the regs on ECV's in flats for me as my head hurts :confused:

Reading my G1 book, it states that an ECV should be fitted to the installation pipe where it enters the building where the meter is sited 6m or further away from the building.

I have a large block of flats that all have meter boxes doted around the perimeter of the building and lovely yellow gas pipes running up to each flat.

So how do I interpret this 6m away? it states from the building, well the meters are all on the perimeter of the building, so not less than 6m away, but obviously the meter is more than 6m away from the top flats.

So is it 6m from premises, 6m from each flat, and if so is it 6m from the front door to the flat or 6m in any direction you like??!!

i interpret the 6m as a 6m walk not as the crow flies, ie how far do you need to walk from the point of entry of the property to the ECV, you could have meters outside for flats where the 2nd floor flat window is less that 6m vertically from the ECV but is a bit of a stretch to lean out the window to turn it off,

Totaly agree with Kirk on this. Another consideration is, that you nearly always end with a communal meter install. 4 in a row for example. So in an emergency the occupier runs out and turns off the wrong meter because they are not clearly identified or in some cases incorrectly identified. I interpret that if its a multi occupancy building there should be an additional ECV where the gas enters the flat, with a correctly worded label, stating what to do incase of a smell of gas.

just to clarify is a test nipple a requirement aswell and if its not present regardless of the age of the installation its always AR?

Yes a test point should be providedafter an ECV/AECV

Last edited:
just to clarify is a test nipple a requirement aswell and if its not present regardless of the age of the installation its always AR?

why would no test valve be AR? you could do a TT from an appliance inlet point (if it has one) full TT could be done from the meter if required, AECV is to turn off gas in an emergency, test point is only for the gas engineer to work on

hi there what about earth bonding then should be with in 24" of meter or not

hi there what about earth bonding then should be with in 24" of meter or not

depends where the meter is, electricians require the bond to be connected and tested properly they dont care about within 600mm of meter outlet, that is a gas pipework reg not an electrical reg. if it is a remote meter the spark will connect the cable to the first point of access within the equipotential zone (which is usually inside the house)

There should be ECV's fitted inside individual flats where the multiple meter installations are located in a remote or communal area regardless of the 6m rule. The occupants must have a means of isolating gas escape.

With regards to the bonding, the dom gas install shall have the bonding on the pipework as it enters into property side of supply as near as poss, and if present within 600mm of meter before any branch is taken off.

why would no test valve be AR? you could do a TT from an appliance inlet point (if it has one) full TT could be done from the meter if required, AECV is to turn off gas in an emergency, test point is only for the gas engineer to work on

sorry the way i written it didnt make clear what i meant. The second part of my question was referring to the aecv

sorry the way i written it didnt make clear what i meant. The second part of my question was referring to the aecv

no AECV is NCS, unless there was a leak then it would be ID, not sure if there are any AR's on no ECV as it is either a gas leak or not

no AECV is NCS, unless there was a leak then it would be ID, not sure if there are any AR's on no ECV as it is either a gas leak or not

IUSP 5.7 page 31. No AEVC with no adequate access to ECV = AR

Evening,

where did you train ? able skills in dartord by chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Correct as the drains are vented via the other...
Replies
Views
if you upped the trac to 32mm you ivt would be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Another vote for Stuart Turner only boost...
Replies
Views
the Same position for meter but riser outside...
Replies
Views
Back