Egg-Carton Type Walls - Bathroom Fitting | DIY Bathroom Fitting Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Egg-Carton Type Walls - Bathroom Fitting in the DIY Bathroom Fitting Forum area at Plumbers Forums

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

How the devil do you fix anything heavy such as basins/shower enclosures etc to these walls. I'm on about the sort of things where light duty plasterboard fixings just won't cut it. From what I can see, the space in the 'cavity' is only about an inch or so and there isn't even enough room in the cubes for the spring toggles to open again.

Should I be advising the customer to have proper stud walls fitted for a long-lasting job?

Just don't see a decent way to fix things like electric towel rails etc to them.

Shower enclosures are alright, but I'd be opening up and securing some 3/4" inch ply inside the wall as an extra precaution on basins and towel rails.

Will there be studwork to secure it to in there? From what I have seen so far there are no vertical studs at all to secure any bracing too for the basin etc.

From what I understand reading up this system is called paramount plasterboard wall. Seen it a couple of times before but never had to install a new bathroom where 3 of the 4 walls are made of this crap..

If its filed first you should be okay, just don't push the plugs past the tiles. And there always silicone to help you along.

I haven't had to do many, but I cut a hole, scrape out the cardboard and then put two bits of ply in, securing into the remaining plaster board, put the bit of board I cut out back and screw it into the ply. Basically you are making a plasterboard sandwich and spreading the load. If that makes sense :)

Studs are only every 3-4 foot croft pain in the backside when it all comes away with the old tiles, what I have done in the past when this happens is add extra 2-2 screwed top and bottom and gripfill the existing side that is staying to the new studs for strength sand then replace with new plasterboards/ply/backer boards

They are came basically as a 8 x 4 sheet of plasterboard. The only timber is top botton and at the sheet joints usually 1 1/4" square.
Simon G's method is easiest to do.

Just finishing two bathroom refurbs in a house built with this horrible stuff. To put in a wall hung basin, had to chase out and put in a new section of stud work, but only 1 inch deep, nightmare.

Learning point = ask customer if they know what the internal walls are made of when doing a quote!

i once hung a rad on a wall and thought id been lucky as hit what i thought were studs and just screwed both brackets on when we came in next morning we had the guy from the next flat waiting for us asking why he had four screrws sticking through his passage wall turned out the wall was only 3/4 thick matchboard with plaster board on or side

I've done that before but with a wall that was just made out of 2x12.5mm thick bits of plasterboard. No cavity. And over 100 screws through to the bedroom on the other side. Not good!!

When I'm fixing a towel rad to dodgy walls, I add additional support to the bottom in the form of a chrome 22mm munsen ring and m10 threaded rod on a munsen ring back plate and the rod is hidden with a small section of 15mm chrome pipe. Use 2 dome chrome headed mirror screws to fix it to the floor. Absolutely 100% secure and gives peace of mind, especially when a towel rad has the weight of water and a full compliment of towels.

090.jpg

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you so much - really appreciate the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Having thought about it i'm sure there is a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Much easier than that is to replace your bath...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks Exedon for clarifying that. I've...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I Understood and thanks!
Replies
Views
Back