Eggy smell from soil pipe | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Eggy smell from soil pipe in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dt1972

Hi,

Hope someone can help. I have recently had a lower level extension which has resulted in the soil pipe being boxed in within the new extension and the outside drain being moved slightly. We randomly get a bad eggy/sewage smell in the new extension, any idea what this could be?

the builder has confirmed that he joined the pipes from the sink and bath to the soil pipe, he also removed the hopper.

any other ideas what it could be.the builder is coming this afternoon so would like to ask him some specific questions as to what it could be.

many thank

Or leaking soil stack/vent pipe. Open ended boss? Or traps on waste system being siphoned out.

Obviously I would ensure all the waste connections are correct as a first point of call. But a bit of a random one here, I used to labour for a flooring company a number of years ago and the latex levlling compound we used would smell eggy and like sewage for a number of days until the floor coverings went down. We used to get the odd call back over it. I assume it is something in the chemical make up of the stuff. Might be worth a check? Might not though!

Sulphur pobably in the leveling mix? Is the smell there all the time? If its intermittent then most likely siphonage from the sink trap. Does the sink gurggle when you let the water go?

We used to get reports of smells on a HA estate that we used to maintain. The smell was from the plywood used to box the flues in where they passed through the downstairs toilet.

That's 62 properties that will require inspection hatches now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks mate, thats really helpful photo, and...
Replies
Views
S
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
"I can’t get to the manhole cover – its been...
Replies
Views
Back