electric boilers | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss electric boilers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllyBongo

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anyone fitted any electric combi's or any other electric boilers??

Whats the thoughts? How's the install, performance etc??

Fitted a combi last xmas, straight foward install, realativly easy only 5 pipe for me to fit not the normal 7!! no worrying about how to get rid of the condesate, no flue to get out, so can be sited anywhere in the house! it was a bit more a job for the sparky! he had 3 or 4 spurs to wire into it. large unit but then only the same as putting cylinder and boiler in the same cupboard. it was basicaly an unvented cylinder and boiler in one big box. the customer choose electric as there was no mains gas and no existing oil, so addition cost of the electric combi was easly offset against new oil tank and pipe work or getting gas in! he also had a handy space for the boiler but it was in the middle of the house. he's was running it on economy 10 tarriff, I've not had any call back, but also no feed back, maybe I should give him a call to find out how he gets on with it.

hope this is of some sort of help!!

I have an OSO electric boiler in my house, supplying 5 rads upstairs and 3 ciruits of underfloor heating downstairs, reasonably good I suppose, can cost a bit to run sometimes, but does seem to work quite well!

I've fitted about 5 Amptec electric flow boilers. Various reasons (no gas in properties, and no garden for oil tanks, and various other reasons).

They've been great.

There's a dirty great big cable on anything over 9KW. 10mm T&E is a swine to run. However I run it, and get the sparky to do his bit connecting it to the consumer unit. I have enough knowledge to check to see if its viable (a spare MCB, an RCB, a big enough main fuse/supply ect), however if you don't know this sort of thing, get an electrician to check it will work before you order the boiler.

Finally I should add, that we've just bought a house off the gas grid, and I've taken out the old warm air heating and fitted new wet central heating, which is warmed by an 11KW Amptec boiler. So they can't be that bad. Just ensure you get the right electrical tarrif. There is economy 7,10,11 and various others.

Oh and I didn't think I should mention this, but it might be relevant. On some installs you will need two spare MCB slots on the board, as they will want an air gap between the big boiler breaker and the next one along (whatever that may be).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Is it worth replacing a Potterton gold 9kw...
Replies
Views
M
Pipework is probably 28mm which might be a...
Replies
Views
Might have a filter as well as check valve.
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, i moved recently in new home and...
Replies
Views
Dobsuk
D
Do I switch off Electric Hot Heater Cylinder...
Replies
Views
Back