electric boilers | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss electric boilers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Does anyone here fit electric boilers? If so can you recommend a half decent combi boiler? There are 5 rads and about 4 or 5 hot water taps in the property.

Does anyone here fit electric boilers? If so can you recommend a half decent combi boiler? There are 5 rads and about 4 or 5 hot water taps in the property.

There aren't any decent electric combis. All of the ones that work rely on some form of storage, in which case you may as well have a UV direct cylinder and a small electric heat only boiler.

Unless you have 3 phase, you just can't get enough juice to instantaneously heat domestic hot water.

Whats installed atm?

electric combis are hellishly expensive to run!

could get a comeback just from that!

Elnur gabbaron cmx15 electric combi. I fitted one in a cottage, 9 rads, cloakroom, bathroom with shower over bath.

Hi mfgs - electric combis have been covered before

I suspect Google has mislead you - in the good old USA many homes have 3 phase and thats
enough to heat water instantly - but in Blighty 100amps at 240 volt is not enough to do the job

There are some others in Uk but they are for Hopsitals with 3 phase ......... CHK

sufficeient

Yeah and it was piped up in SQUbe CHK

So are we speaking from experience or just flapping the gums?

If youve had a bad experience then please share for op to make a decision.

My comments are based on experience, take it or leave, personally I couldnt give a flying feck.

There is an old open flued boiler, run on a liner up the chimney and an instantaneous water heater (gas) for the hot water. Only issue being that all external walls are the boundary to the property and as such the water heater currently terminates directly on to a public walk way. Only options are an electric set up, which is why I have asked. Or a floor standing Worcester which has a special flue liner set up with a cylinder and controls etc which will cost a lot.

The water heater is currently broken and the boiler is ancient so would be an ideal time to update it all. There isn't a massive budget so install cost needs to be kept to a minimum.

Then its an amptec and direct unvented making use of cheaper overnight electric.

Vertical flue system on a keston? This can be run vertically internally or externally ?

There is only one worth considering on the market in my opinion. It's made by a company called thermaflow and it uses a storage cylinder that is charged using off-peak electricity. This is then used to heat the house and provide DHW during peak rate times without using electricity. Sized correctly, they are cheaper than all fuels apart from gas to run. Sized incorrectly and they are bloody expensive.

The downside? The price. They cost as much as an oil boiler and unvented cylinder combined. Prices start around £2,500 inc VAT.

Because we have been one of their approved installers for a while, we are able to get them at the same price the merchants are which is pretty handy too.

That is a retail price too by the way.

I have done this before, WB FS CDi in cellar with flexi liner flue, with small indirect cylinder at side of it, nop cheap as said, but still cheaper in long run with electric running costs etc, initial payout is what most people have got these days though

Can't you go out and up with a plume kit and terminal guard over air intake? Take it over the gutter if needs be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Is it worth replacing a Potterton gold 9kw...
Replies
Views
As above, highly unlikely to be boiler if it...
Replies
Views
P
Baxi boilers are light and quiet but I doubt...
Replies
Views
PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
Do I switch off Electric Hot Heater Cylinder...
Replies
Views
Back