electric or gas boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss electric or gas boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

samj

I need to replace the internal boiler (keston) in my 2-bed flat. i´d be very grateful if someone could answer this question, by Friday 10th August:

Would it generally be more cost and energy effective to install and run an electric boiler or a gas/combi boiler (which would mean installing flue inspection hatches costing approx 500 quid) over a three to four year period?

I know that an electric boiler would be cheaper to install, but i need to know whether this cost saving would be blown out the water by higher energy bills?

Other info that may help:

• There are two residents
  • One power-shower used twice in the morning every day
  • We use central heating from December to March as flat is well insulated
  • Washing machine generally used once or twice a week overnight

Thank you!

Had to do this to a few Keston boilers in Tunbridge Wells.

I converted three to electric, as the flue runs were not possible. I changed the other to a Worcester Bosch.

Not had any complaints. Gas is cheaper per KW, so even though you can't beat electric boilers for efficiency, you are probably best to stick with gas.

Electric will be more expensive Without an economy tariff it will be much more expensive.
The only electric wet boiler that may be cheaper to install is something like an Amptec or other flow boiler so you are talking serious running costs unless you can run your lifestyle to suit whatever economy tariff may be available in your area.
Electric boilers that make best use of the economy tariffs are not cheap.

I wish someone would pay me £500 to install a few inspection hatches. I might be tempted to buy a new pad saw if they did :smile:

PS - most modern washing machines heat their own water, the exception being Miele.

Also bear in mind that you will need to acertain whether the incoming main will be man enough for an electric boiler, and whether the company fuse is big enough (latter is easily sorted by the electricity supplier).

You will need your inspection hatches sooner than the next few years. Remember you can't assume the flue in the void is in good condition, or properly installed/bracketed. If there is an issue. The cost of remedial work could be higher than £500

I wish someone would pay me £500 to install a few inspection hatches. I might be tempted to buy a new pad saw if they did :smile:

Good point. But on Kestons you can get seriously long flue runs, and he may need fire rated inspection hatches, which are about £50 each.

thanks for your quick replies danny. so, if cost of installing an electric were something like 1,500 quid and gas boiler something like 2,500 quid, would i be better going for electric supposing i was to continue living in this flat for another 3-4 years? thanks again

Lifted from my last quote:

Running Costs: Your tenant will be using electricity as their sole energy for heating and ho****er. It is worth remembering there are a number of off-peak electricity tariffs now available which provide a lower cost.

The two most common tariffs are Economy 7 and Economy 10. However other tariffs such as economy 11 do exist.

Economy 7
Two rate meter installed in property
Units used at night (during off-peak time*) charged at lower rate than those used during the day

*'Night' means the 7 hours that the local distribution company in your area chooses
between 10 pm and 10am. 'Day' means at all other times.

Economy 10†
Only one meter installed in each property
All electricity used at off-peak times charged at the lower rate

Off-peak times generally set for
Midnight to 5.00 am (GMT) - 5 hours
1.00 pm to 4.00 pm (GMT) - 3 hours
8.00 pm to 10.00 pm (GMT) - 2 hours
†Not available in all areas, and details may vary by area.

Call 029 2024 9556 for information on latest availability and tariffs.

Well I live with an electric boiler (no mains gas at my house).

I fitted it, so I practise what I preach. I also fit natural gas, LPG and oil. So I could have gone with the latter two but our home is well insulated (and not massive) so I went with an Amptec flow boiler (as Tamz mentioned).

In your instance I would have to weigh it up carefuly. People are familiar with gas central heating. Don't put potential buyers off.

Get some quotes, compare costs, take advice from the installers, and go with your gut feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Baxi boilers are light and quiet but I doubt...
Replies
Views
Under the Energy Price Cap rates from 1...
Replies
Views
T
I had an electric boiler installed recently...
Replies
Views
Tom Duncan
T
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
170L is barely enough for 2 showers for us...
Replies
Views
Back