electric or hot water underfloor heating advice needed please | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss electric or hot water underfloor heating advice needed please in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

B

butlerps

Hi all,
I have a dilema that I'd like some advice on please as I'm sitting on the fence over which route to take.
We're renovating a 5 story town house, bathrooms in the basement, 2nd and 3rd floor, all will have underfloor heating and heated towel rails.
The bathrooms are fairly small 3-5 m2
My theory is that I'm having to route the water heating system to each floor for radiators and towel rails, so logic would say use a wet underfloor system using a Danfoss FHV-R Regulating Valve to aleviate the requirement of having a manifold and pump which one plumber we've had quote agrees with. The other plumber we've had in says go with electric underfloor heating and have the towel rails on their own zone so as you have have them working in the summer without having the rest of the house heated.
I guess there is a 3rd option of combining the two above so as I have wet underfloor heating and a seperate zone for the radiators.
And I guess ther is a 4th option which would add zone valves to each floor for radiators and the towel rails wouldn't need their own pipes/zone as in the summer all zone valves would be turned off allowing only towel rails to be heated. Then I have to way up the cost implication; copper pipe and one zone vs 5 zone valves and a 5 zone programmer.

Any advice would be much apprecited
Cheers,
Philip

How "price sensitive" are you?

From a price aspect I'm more interested in running costs than installation costs. That combined with ease of use (seperate programmers for electric) and the potential for home integration (controlling heating on/off remotely via smartphone). My way of thinking is that of Lord of the Rings (One Ring to Rule them all), i.e have all heating by water so as there is one controller. That being said, I'm still on the fence.

Upvote 0
ive seen a lot of electric ufh systems that no longer work often only a couple of years old if the rooms are that small why not get a towel rail with enough output to heat them theres some nice ones with colum rads built in

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I suspect zone 1 and 3 are linked maybe a big...
Replies
Views
  • Question
We currently have the ground floor wet UFH and...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, this was a brilliantly explained post...
Replies
Views
N
Re: Zoning upstairs. If you don't have 1 set...
Replies
Views
Back