Electric Shower | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Electric Shower in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi from a non-plumber,

1. I have an non electric shower which also has a separate pump - fed via an electrical immersion. However, with 3 teenagers we never have enough hot water.

2. If I put an electric shower in then I believe I need a dedicated cable to power it. How long can this cable be? Would 20 metres be too long? Is there a limit?

3. Will I get just as powerful a shower from the electric one as I currently have?

4. The critical thing is that there is good pressure from the shower. Is there a standard way to measure what pressure I am currently getting?

5. Is an electric shower compatible with my current pump?

All views appreciated.

Hi and welcome

2- Not sure
3- No
4- The pump will tell you what working pressure it gives
5- No

If you have access to your shower hose then why not try fitting a flow restrictor to use less hot water per min?

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome

2- Not sure
3- No
4- The pump will tell you what working pressure it gives
5- No

If you have access to your shower hose then why not try fitting a flow restrictor to use less hot water per min?

OUCH!

Perhaps I should not bother replacing my current immersion fed shower??
But it does not really provide enough hot water.

If I get a powerful electric shower what pressure will it give??

Upvote 0
Generally the higher the KW rating, the higher the pressure.
A 10.5kw electric shower gives a notably better shower than an 8.5kw, not as good as a mixer shower does but not bad.
To get hotter an electric shower doesn't boost the heating, it slows the water - so it has more time in the heat exchanger, so higher kw rating = hotter and more powerful shower. It also means bigger and more expensive cabling is needed to supply it. Your 20m cable run could also be an issue, a sparky or plumber with the relevant electrical qualifications would be able to tell you better than I can.
You are limited by your homes' water system, if you were to go for an unvented system with a large cylinder you would get a cracking shower with plenty of hot water, or a combi would give a constant supply of hot water and would be great until someone turns another hot water draw on in the house.
With a pumped mixer shower your current gravity hot water system won't give you 4 long hot, powerful showers, even if you upgrade the size of your header tank you will be limited by how much hot water you have.
If it was me I'd be putting a 10.5kw in there and paying a sparky to sort the wiring and I'd be telling my teens that if they all want to chip a grand in then we'll go unvented :)

Upvote 0
Thanks JC,
(It's very late!).

A final couple of things.

1. We actually have 2 showers - both direct from immersion.
2. I might spend on the "unvent" - Obviously, I can google... but could you say a little more about what an "unvent" is and how it works?

Upvote 0
Okay, I just googled "unvent" stuff ... looks a little complicated to me !

Perhaps I will stick with the 10.5kw option.
I just want to ensure that I don't get a crappy shower will very weak pressure.

Upvote 0
Words of caution regarding electric showers.
Most if not all electric showers require an off period between showers to,allow the system to cool. Check with manufacturers spec.
The life span of an electric shower is down to hours of use, the better the make the more efficient they are. Top brand is Aqualisa.
If you live in a relevantly hard water area such as central London as apposed to a soft water region such as Glasgow, with high useage your electric shower will be knackered in no time at all.
No electric shower will give anywhere near as good a flow or pressure as your current set up.

I would advise investigating larger cold water storage, larger hot water cyclinder, more efficient boiler.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have to admit that I don't know what a 60...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Aqualisa digital showers are great. There is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
B
  • Question
Your plumber was correct, the mixer-tap idea...
Replies
Views
Back