Electric towel rail not working | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Electric towel rail not working in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

A

andyjack

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but since it concerns a towel rail/radiator it might be.

I've got a towel rail that is fed by the central heating system and also has an electric heating element in it. It gets warm when the central heating is on but the electric heating part of it seems to have stopped working. The little light on the thermostat comes on so it seesm to be drawing power, but it's not heating up.

Any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong and how it can be put right will be most gratefully received.

What I'd do is take it off and put another one on. Easiest thing to do.

Has it got a re-set button?

The element might be knackered, if this is the case you may be able to get a new element if you know the make and model. It may be too warm for the thermostat to be asking for heat from the element.

I know the public go on about what plumbers charge but sparks are on a different planet , they turn up not a spec of dirt on them wearing shades and telling the cust that the wiring is out of date and needs a full re-wire or the place will burn down . Usually they have only turned up to repair a duff socket .

plumber, heating engineer and small amount of electrical work, i have been gas registered for around 15years but decided to go back to college and learn about electrics, i can test electrical installations upto 1000v but with the current climate of work i dont get to use my electrical knowledge very offten. I hope i dont forget most of it before i need it!

sorry to be nosey but how did you manage to do the course was it on an evening, i only ask because ive been thinking about doing it myself but i was told you cant do it on an evening any more as you need on site experience like the gas

mikegas,
I am unsure on whether they have changed the rules now? i did hear they were changing some of the qualifications again... they change things every few years in electrical qualifications. The have even revised the 17th regs and its only been around a few years.
I did all mine on evenings, 2/3 nights a week. I completed C+G 2330 level 2 and level 3, 17th regs, inspection and testing(2391/92) levels 2 and 3. Not got my pat testing yet tho.

to be honest on site experience wont be to great a benifit on these courses, yes maybe on the practical parts but most of the theroy is calculations and regs and you dont need to be good at installing, you need to be good at maths, and revision. These course cover more than just house bashing and go into comercial,industrial,supply and generation etc. To be honest the practical is fairly easy, even for me and i have butter fingers when wiring.

i bet if you told them you had lost your job you would get on the course??

mikegas,
I am unsure on whether they have changed the rules now? i did hear they were changing some of the qualifications again... they change things every few years in electrical qualifications. The have even revised the 17th regs and its only been around a few years.
I did all mine on evenings, 2/3 nights a week. I completed C+G 2330 level 2 and level 3, 17th regs, inspection and testing(2391/92) levels 2 and 3. Not got my pat testing yet tho.

to be honest on site experience wont be to great a benifit on these courses, yes maybe on the practical parts but most of the theroy is calculations and regs and you dont need to be good at installing, you need to be good at maths, and revision. These course cover more than just house bashing and go into comercial,industrial,supply and generation etc. To be honest the practical is fairly easy, even for me and i have butter fingers when wiring.

i bet if you told them you had lost your job you would get on the course??

thanks for that awheating it was an electrician that told me you now need on site experience, how long did it take you to complete at 2/3 nights a week?

it all took me around 4years, mostly 2 nights a week

2330 level 2 - 2 years
2330 level 3 - 1 year
17th regs-testing-extras- 1year

and about 300 cans of redbull! :)

i even have a moke up whole house wiring install on my shed wall so i can practice my testing and fault finding to stop me getting rusty when i dont get to use the knowledge enough.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
With two issues following someone working on...
Replies
Views
P
Baxi boilers are light and quiet but I doubt...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Anyone know of a repair service for Axpert...
Replies
Views
Yes the ufh should be separate from the rest...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks - that's interesting. I did close the...
Replies
Views
Back