Electric wet central heating ???? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Electric wet central heating ???? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

volturb40

Hello i'm new on the site , was wanting to ask the people in the know about this system. :)

I have a small two bedroomed house , with storage heaters Economy 7 , which seems to be expensive , i have no Gas in the village and oil seems to be going up in price now plus i would have to buy a tank and get planning permission for that.

Someone suggested this electric boiler with the wet central heating , this appeals to me as its a lot less dusty but more than that i would have control over the heating.

I have an electric shower which would stay , and both my tanks are down stairs.

I was wondering have any of you people fitted this kind of system??? , is it reliable, ??? are the running costs better than Economy 7 , would i need a combi system , or being as i live myself and probably bath twice a week , need that kind of system , as i use the electric shower every day.

Hello can anyone offer me any advice , surely someone must have one fitted or have fitted one ????? Thanks:)

Sorry - I've never installed one. Probably best to have a ring around.

I did read an article in a magazine about them very recently. They're fast becoming more popular. So that say's something I guess!?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Heat pump and use the hot water from cylinder to shower, get rid or the electric shower.
If you can afford it get solar thermal as well and dont forget about RHI (google it)

There are two different types of electric wet central heating boiler (for heating radiators). They are both easier to control than storage heaters and with the right tariff will be cheaper to run.

There is the flow boiler which is basically a bit of pipe with an electric element in a box. These are cheap to buy but are expensive to run as you are likely to use them at the more expensive tariffs.
Examples are the Heatrae Sadia Amptec or Trianco Aztec.
The Heatrae Sadia Electromax is also a flow boiler but has a built in hot water tank.

Then there are the combi type boilers which are really a thermal store. These are large units but can often be sited in place of your HW cylinder.
These work by heating and storing the water at the off peak times and allowing you to use the heat at peak times. The Radiators are hot in about 2 minutes as the hot water is already there. These are more expensive to buy but LOTS cheaper to run if you get on the right tariff. You also get mains pressure hot water.
Examples are the Thermaflow or the Heatwell.
Solar can also be connected to these units if you want to push the boat out, making them even cheaper to run.
I would recommend the Heatwell unless you would like to impress the neighbours with the thermaflow and the Heatwell is cheaper to buy.
They are all reliable enough and easily fixed.
Depending on where you live you will need to change electric tariffs. Economy 7 will be no use to you. You need a minimum of Economy 10. This gives 3 switching times/day usually 4.30 - 7.30, 13.30 - 16.30, and 20.30 - 0030 although it varies slightly by area/supplier.
In Scotland we have a tariff called Scottish Power Economy 2000. It gives 18hrs a day half price tariff.There may be similar elsewhere.
Running costs on this tariff are not much more than mains gas.
Finding an knowledgeable installer may be a bit harder.

Here is an example of how to count out what your running costs could be with the combi type boilers.

Based on a 9kw unit, if the boiler is used for heating & hot water it would use 9kw/hr say for 200 days in the year switched on for 7hrs/day at off peak and the hot water only for the other 165 days using 3kw/hr switched on for 2hrs/day at off peak, the total annual consumption would be 13590 kw/hr. Multiply this by your rate and you have your heating cost for the year eg rate 6.4p/kw/h = £869.76. Don't forget to add on any daily standing charge. Play with the numbers.

A flow boiler would be more expensive to run unless you keep to the of peak times.

Here are some links. Have a read.

Combi boilers

The Electric Central Heating Company
[DLMURL="http://www.thermaflowheating.co.uk/thermaflow_range.htm"]Thermaflow Electric Combination Boilers[/DLMURL]

Flow boilers
Trianco Aztec Range
Heatrae Sadia

There are others and forget the heat pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or an heat pump / thermal store on those tariffs / times........ even cheaper to run, most of the year 1/3 cheaper than direct electric heating.

Eco

Thanks everyone for your help

I stay in Aberdeenshire out in the country and have never heard of Scottish Power Economy 2000 , which i will look into, if anyone has any more info please put it up :).
I'm away to look into the Heatwell combi boiler

Good choice. Ring the Glasgow number and they will explain any queries you may have and advise on the best tariffs to suit your needs.

They are straight forward to fit and can be fitted by most installers. If you don't have a plumber or installer, stick your postcode in here and get the names of some decent registered plumbers/heating engineers in your area who may be able to help.
SNIPEF Home - Scottish and Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers Federation

Unless you have a save the planet head forget the ASHP. It is an expensive toy and like most "renewables", best left for those with more money than sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Were in a similar-ish situation in that our...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Replies
Views
E
This needs someone to go through it. My advice...
Replies
Views
Back