Electrical connection to hot water tank | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Electrical connection to hot water tank in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

D

David Moskovic

Hello,

I have a megaflop hot water tank. On the wide, it has two grey plastic squares attached. On them is written "DISCONNECT FROM THE MAINS BEFORE REMOVING THIS COVER".

They have holes for two wires to be attached. The upper one, about 2/3 up the tank, is not onnected. The lower one, near the bottom, has one wire going to a plug socket, into one hole. It has another wire from the other hole, but I cant trace what happens to it. The plug socket is off.

The previous owner said it was an immersion heater. I used up the hot water and turned it on, but it did not heat any water.

The other thing I think it could be is an electric anode, in which case I should obviously switch it on. I attach a photo. Does anyone know if this is indeed an electric anode and if it should be turned on.

Very grateful for anyone who can help!
Thanks
David

20151121_110409.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It will not be an anode as the Megaflo (not flop) is all stainless steel so don't have one.

As you heat the hot water via your boiler (indirect cylinder), if you run out just boost or advance the hot water from your programmer.

The immersion is just there as a back-up if the boiler goes down, it will take a long time to heat the water up & cost you loads.

If you don't think it is working you will need to get it checked out by someone who holds an unvented / part G ticket as required by Law to work on these. (please ask to see it before they start work)

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Question
They generally have the same size thread. 3/4"...
Replies
Views
The timeclock is hopefully fairly self...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That's not what I meant. Are the hot and cold...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
Back