electrical supply to megaflo! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss electrical supply to megaflo! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesky

Gas Engineer
hi all,

we are going to install a megaflo cylinder in a HMO. i had the Unvernted course but never installed one before. I think there is one 2.5mm cable for the boiler, but do i need to run a seperate 2.5mm cable for the immersion heater? or they can share one 2.5mm cable?

cheers

but do i need to run a seperate 2.5mm cable for the immersion heater

if you want a fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me thinks you need a sparky!! to sort for you.

read the manual, the direct one needs 1.5mm cable, so think 2.5mm can be used for both of the boiler and the cylinder,but not sure...

immersions are usually hard wired off a fused spur although i have seen them on three pin plugs as well.

You require to have the immersion on its own dedicated supply from the consumer unit

The boiler can spar off the ring main,not the dedicated supply to the immersion heater

imho

As I recall first of all a dedicated supply from the consumer unit as puddle has stated and I am pretty sure it has to be a 20 amp supply but I would definately get a sparky in if yer not sure also what size mega flo as If its a biggun it may have 2 immersions

agree with puddle & unguided - immersions need a dedicated radial circuit.

Electrics. We are Plumbers on this forum, and don't take kindly to DIYers. Electricians fill in forms just like us, and don'take kindly to DIYers. Let them do what they do. Three pin plugs on immersion heaters? They would need to be round pins, I think!

20 amp mcb from consumer unit dedicated supply -1.5 mm T&E min - boiler supply of spurred ring main but must be a FCU

20 amp mcb from consumer unit dedicated supply -1.5 mm T&E min - boiler supply of spurred ring main but must be a FCU

the max current rating for 1.5mm t&e is 16amps so its no use protecting with a 20 amp mcb, needs to be 16amp mcb otherwise cable could set on fire before the mcb trips.

the max current rating for 1.5mm t&e is 16amps so its no use protecting with a 20 amp mcb, needs to be 16amp mcb otherwise cable could set on fire before the mcb trips.
Sorry my friend Stani is right 16 amp mcb for that circuit over estimated the power - wonder how many 9.5kw showers have been put in by plumbers on 6mm T&E ????

loads! and they probably just keep on working day in-day out lol

loads! and they probably just keep on working day in-day out lol

Yes they do - surprising isn't it but if you took the trouble to touch/feel the cable on some of the longer runs of cable you'd feel just how hot they got not too mention the voltage drop when it get's to the shower.

our joiner has a 2.7kw chop saw and has been using a 40 metre extension lead to power it,but only pulled off 3 metres, could'nt understand why the saw was only going slow and the cable reel was red hot to the touch

Well I wonder why that is ? like I said sorry for the mistake in the loading but I don't think it would have made that much difference in the grand scheme of things but better safe than sorry - hope this has been some help to the original post anyway..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they do - surprising isn't it but if you took the trouble to touch/feel the cable on some of the longer runs of cable you'd feel just how hot they got not too mention the voltage drop when it get's to the shower.
Because an uncoiled extension lead reacts as a coil of copper with a voltage and current passing through it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Except your response got me thinking. Going...
Replies
Views
The energy market is totally distorted , one...
Replies
Views
Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
No as legionellae likes 45-50 so aslong as...
Replies
Views
T
I had an electric boiler installed recently...
Replies
Views
Tom Duncan
T
Back