Electrician Fault finding head scratcher. | Electrical Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Electrician Fault finding head scratcher. in the Electrical Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Fault finding head scratcher.

Quick drop in at a house on way home…. Customer couldn’t reset mcb for rfc.

Power off at board, outgoing cables disconnected… I was getting 200V between the neutral bar and the earth bar within the CU.

With the CU mainswitch on, I am getting a voltage on the disconnected live cables.
Have not disconnected the neutrals yet,

For now, I have left the cables disconnected, and the rest of the power on. Ran an extension lead to power the customers freezer. Will return to finish off tomorrow.

Looking at the picture below, the only other live circuit is the smoke detectors from the Wylex heating board to the right.
The rest of the heating board, and the all the off peak side of the teleswitch goes to redundant boards. It is so much more complicated than it should be.

What looks like a 3 phase head is a neutral, a live fuse, and a looped fuse which powers an advertising sign for a neighbouring hotel. Not metered, apparently.

IMG_5703.jpeg

Cross connection somewhere introducing a voltage onto the neutrals? Can only be from the smoke detector circuit.

However, this doesn’t explain the sudden cause of the breaker tripping.
Expect to find a smoking rodent in this one.

Fault finding head scratcher. for more information

You may reply to this message here.

Back