Electrician Fusing downstream with very short cable length | Electrical Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Electrician Fusing downstream with very short cable length in the Electrical Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Fusing downstream with very short cable length

Hi, first post newbie here.

I have a question relating to what I am told is a grey area in both 7671 and low voltage assemblies regs. I have a customer with some LV industrial control panels, 100A fused isolator with 25mm main singles from isolator down to motor drive, but off the isolator terminals are also some short 6mm cables that go immediately to 1A fuses (within 3 or 4 inches). I am aware obviously this contradicts the requirement for conductor CSA rating to be > upstream protective device rating, but also on the other hand have been told in the past this is fine to do as long as the under-rated cable is of sufficiently short length, there is no danger of mechanical damage to the cable, and the design load of its downstream circuit is suitably low - I believe all of those to be true in this case. So the opposite of de-rating I guess! Has anyone had a similar quandary in the past, and if so were able to find a definitive answer within the UK regs?

Entire circuit is enclosed within a steel control panel. Drawing attached, as well as layout sketch of the installation, unfortunately I don't have photos of the actual installation sorry.

Thanks in advance
Ed

[ElectriciansForums.net] Fusing downstream with very short cable length

[ElectriciansForums.net] Fusing downstream with very short cable length

Fusing downstream with very short cable length for more information

You may reply to this message here.

Back