Electrician LED strip light load on 5amp circuit | Electrical Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Electrician LED strip light load on 5amp circuit in the Electrical Advice area at Plumbers Forums

LED strip light load on 5amp circuit

Hello,

Newbie here. Tried to find the answer through searching, apologies if I've missed it.

We are refurbing our house. I want to install RGBW LED lightning.
  • 3 zones: A) Round the lantern roof light, B) Kitchen cabinets and Island C), Snug room (TV and cabinets)
  • I would like them switched from the wall and App controlled.
  • I asked the electrician to leave 5amp connection points in each zone so we can wire onto the lighting circuit.
  • I estimate between 15-20M total strip length.

When I do the calculations (for a 24v 21W/m COB strip) I get:
20m x 21 = 420 watts total
420watts / 24v = 17.5amps max current drawn.

Am I right that this is far over the 5amp max load on the lighting circuit?
I've played with other numbers. To give a 3 amp max draw ( To allow for other lights on the circuit) would be:
3amps x 24V = 72watts.

Questions:
1. Have I got my sums right so far?
2. Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you,

Stu

LED strip light load on 5amp circuit for more information

You may reply to this message here.

Back