engineer report/inspection | Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss engineer report/inspection in the Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

looking for some pointer in able to build a report.
basically i got called in to inspect the plumbing and heatin for a contractor whose clients were not going to pay. they were with holding payment due to faulty plumbing and boiler work.
i was called in to check and test the system and 2 bathrooms and tbh found almost no problems & all were put right when i was in attendance. the contractor has now asked me to write a report for them which i feel may go to court in order to sue for outstanding monies owed!.

any of you guys do this regularly day to day who could guide me to what to put down?
i dont want to spend hours on it though just an a4. lol:yawn:

List the problems that the customer reported, then list the problems that you found, then list the repairs that were carried out by the contractor and then write a short report citing that the problems have been rectified to acceptable standards. (If they have been!)

Last edited:
Never had to do it. I'd say tell them the truth - as is, be proffessional and keep it simple.
All the best to you with it.

Bullet points will be fine, no need to copy Shakespeare. As leelister6 put it, state what they were complaining about, what you saw, what was done and quick conclusion.

Obviously I've never done this for plumbing, but I have had similar issues in a previous life...

Redsaw I have a solicitor on my books who does a bit of work like this if you like I can sort you his number for advice before you send it off

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the advice lads.

basically i am independent to the job as the client is with holding £30k from the contractor!! it is in fact a 'i dont wanna pay' thing.
the contractor called me in to check the plumbing and heating and to point out any faults that needed attention.
*boiler...prv, gas pipe entry, flue. needed sealing on the internal wall.
*gas pipe run needed i.d tape.
*stack boss weeping.
*corner bath tap not opening fully, too close to wall.
*shower door out of square.
*rads not balanced properly.

and that was sorted on the day.

just not sure if to flower up the report or just put what i have just said plain and simple?
dont care either if it escalates from there as its not my concern (unless its a day in court as an expert witness££).lol
thanks bod, dont think i wll need a brief as independant.
interesting stuff though:)

I didnt know there was a need for id tape in domestic ?

lol. i was twiddling my thumbs as i got paid a day rate. any way the gas piping was on the ceiling in the garage just clear of the automatic door so thought. label it so nobody hangs the mower on it:)
i often put a bit of tape on my pipes anyhow!

can't do a report on an A4, a basic (small) report is knocking on 3500 words (12 pages).

Best off just writing a letter of problems you found, detailing why you think it was a problem and that they was rectified straight away.

I do loads of reports in the course of a year. What's your email? I send some over for you to view. PDF format.

I didnt know there was a need for id tape in domestic ?

Here it is, Steve:

From current BS 6891

Installation of low pressure gas pipework
of up to 35 mm (R1¼) in domestic premises
(2nd family gas) — Specification

5 Design and planning

5.1.4 Any work to be done by the gas installer and which could be damaged or impaired by other trades
shall be clearly identified.

now its kicking off!!.

the home owner rang yesterday after hunting down my details from gas safe.
she was handed my report from my customer the contractor and took the name from there.
she asked if i could send her a copy, i told her no as you have not paid me for it and are not my customer!..any way seemed nice enough (especially when shes fishing for info!) and spent a while discusing the problems and accusations for quite a while. she also told me she had an independant gsr out to do checks for her.

i got the gsr name from her to call later that day but he beat me to it so i spent a good while exchanging notes with him.
apparently; he says when he went to do an inspection....

the boiler flue was detached from the boiler?. i watched the contractor seal around the flue as it was a fault i told him to correct and he has a picture of it done later no w its detached?

the gas pressure to boiler is only 16mb (5m from meter to boiler in 22mm exposed pipe) 42kw ravenheat. i only did a drop test out of safety without being asked to do anything with the appliances only a visual!.

no trv's=agreed

gas fire to lounge (was not informed there was a new appliance there or asked to check it as the contractor was doing a walk round with me).. fire frame was glued into position with no-nails, no cable or foam seal used! catchment undersized and expanding foam used as a seal around flue, it had been scorched badly...classed as i'd. by the other guy. i made a report saying i had visually inspected the appliances (boiler and cooker) and found no apparent fault, bit hard to know when your being lead round to each installation they want you to check? i dont do fires either!.

this afternoon phone rings and its gas safe on the other end asking details of what i was asked to do and what i found, nice chap on the face of it but mid way through asks if i got paid for it and whats my id number?.
he questioned about the trv's, the flue not connected a couple of other things and the fire!!.
i asked if i had done anything wrong but he said no, i told him that i had initially been asked to inspect the wet plumbing as the customer had complained that it had many leaks and not installed properly. the gas stuff was just a 'courtesy' visual check over as i had another hour left.

the gas register person was interested to hear that the customer owes £35k to the contractor and suspect her of sabotaging the installations to avoid paying though!.

or am i being used as a pawn.. what do you think?

You are going to be caught in the middle of this.

I'd have told gas safe to fk off.

Although they are trying to mediate as the inevitable gas issues have been raised, it's a civil matter and really nothing to do with them what you did. You never worked on the job only offered your opinion/advice on what you were asked to. You don't need to tell them anything.
Don't worry about it.

It will end up as a shyt fest. Never get involved in this kind of garbage unless you want to crucify someone.

i think youve done everything allright mate, not much to fret about and yes you being used as a pawn.
the only possible thing i could see gs quizzing you for is, the fact that you did a drop test and didnt know there was a gsa fire connected to system. i seem to remember from my last resit (4 years ish ago) was that your responsible for the entire instalation.
but if you were ushered to the suspect appliances by contractor you could claim being misguided deliberately.
keep us informed mate. x

You're going to be stuck in the middle, which ever way this falls, just need record everything, phone conversations, etc. sadly it sounds like its about money and not gas safety.

defo about money!

the complaint was about the new extension..2 bath with reported leaks, 2 beds and radiators not working on room stat..thats what i was there for.

it was the fact that the guy told me who installed it that i tried to check him out and there was no reference to him on the gsr so i did a drop test to be safe. (the guy had his details removed from the register but checked out by phoning them).

the gas fire was in the old part of the property and wasnt informed it was there!. i dont cary fires so can only do visual anyway not pull them out?. i am not even sure if the fitter actually installed it either!!

You’ve recorded your foundings on the day and that’s it. There’s, defo, no need for you to worry about what happed before or after that. They can play any games in the world they want. It’s nothing to do with you. Don’t get stressed out! You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
If you had the leak and phoned them out to...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
M
you are being taken for a ride..as most of...
Replies
Views
drip-dry
D
Back