Enjoying work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Enjoying work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Been almost 12 months since i left the army and feel like i'm learning every day. still got loads to learn but working for a good company who don't put pressure on me. Work is always local and they have been really good with me considering my lack of experience, always said i'd go out on my own in the future but there's no rush to do that when i'm happy when i go to work.

Got messed around by the first company I worked for but stayed as long as I needed to and was lucky to get in where I am. Looking forward to learning a lot more over the winter. I need to get my head in the books too but it's hard to find the time and what i do take in i find it hard to remember unless i do it for real.

I did weekends for free for almost a year before i got out the army which I didn't learn a great deal from but allowed me to build up some tools, worked hard and was beneficial for both parties in different ways. I was kept hanging on with the promise of being taken on full time which the closer it got to the time was made obvious he had got used to having free labour and expected the same once I left the army. (decided he couldn't take me on and pay me after all but thought it was ok to call and say he had some big installs booked in that he wanted help with, said he had someone else who could help if i couldn't but would rather have me - yeah because his mate wanted £100 a day, I would have been lucky to get 20 a day. Needed the experience but couldn't afford to work for peanuts with a baby).

I'm enjoying the work and still getting used to things but i feel it's going well - I haven't been sacked yet! lol

Been a hard couple of years but starting to feel like i'm getting to where i wanted to be. Thanks to all the guys on here who have given me advice.

You'll do alright Ash. A year down the line, you'll make it no problem now.
Best to maybe gain some more experience before you jump out on our own (times are hard anyway so a steady wage is good).
Best thing about working for someone is you have the back up for when you get lost.
Plus you have a couple hundred guys on here to help you out if you need us.
We all made major fk ups when we were starting out. As the saying goes you learn best from your mistakes. If there was a mistake to make, i've probably made it so you are not alone in that.
Good luck for the future.

only bit of advice u really need is LOOK AFTER YOUR KNEES

I'm 26, been self emp since April and my knees hurt when I change babies nappy.

Not wearing knee pads for first few months was daft. Now I wear them as much as is feasibly possible.
And the pads that insert into trousers are craaaap!!

Hi Mate, i prefer the ones inside the trousers as the others seem to just get in the way. I know you have to change these out every few months or so, but i could not get into wearing the bulky types.

ill work with you at weekends ash if you want im a trainee willing to travel and graft not for peanuts but cheap?

Working for a firm mate. When I get any private work in the future I will post on the forum for anyone who wants to come along. And payment etc will be discussed beforehand so there's no arguments and everyone's happy. Will be a while until I'm in that position though. Hope you find something.

Similar plumbing topics

My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just...
Replies
Views
Hi All I've just started out studying NVQ...
Replies
Views
One DM in five years? Congratulations on...
Replies
Views
Hi RPM, Gasway were the first company i...
Replies
Views
Back