Entering the line of work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Entering the line of work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

Mags5157

I'm currently leaving the Army and I'm looking to go into plumbing and gas. I've been looking around at the best way to enter the field. I understand there's all these accelerated courses but are they genuine and worth going on? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums, general view is almost impossible to get employment without on site experience and going SE is risky for the same reason.

An apprenticeship could be the answer, gives you the chance to learn while you work. Although you wont earn very much in the first year.

they will give you the paperwork needed but still need some on site with a firm person whoever to complete the coarse. also you must be prepared for rubbish money (apprentice type wage). reason those course's have a bad name is folk go on then realize there not on a good wage then set up on their own with little experience and cause havoc. welcome btw and good luck. best advice is get in with a small company as just a pair of hands then try and get qualified.

Lots of posts on here explaining why these courses are run for the providers benefit and lead to disappointment and high costs for those who go on them.If you are set on plumbing and heating you need to have a way of gaining experience and ideally someone who will put you through an apprenticeship.There is a wider range of skills in this job than some others and it is not an easy trade to get into_On another similar thread forum members were suggesting alternatives such as plastering and tiling as there was a skill shortage in these trades.Best of luck.Do not waste your resettlement grant.One thing in your favour is that there are people who still put a value on service to your country and will give you a hearing.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all am new on here. I've passed my level 2...
Replies
Views
Hi All I've just started out studying NVQ...
Replies
Views
You can PM them via clicking this link...
Replies
Views
Wow thanks for posting. And thanks for posting...
Replies
Views
Hi RPM, Gasway were the first company i...
Replies
Views
Back