EON Central Heating Cover | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss EON Central Heating Cover in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeffrey Cumpsty

Good Morning.

Earlier in May I was called by EON, offering Central heating cover for my boiler. I took them up on the offer and signed up for a 12 month contract. The Sales Rep said that they could not come out until June to do the initial inspection, but "dont worry. You are covered from today".

By complete coincidence, my boiler developed a fault the next week. The expansion vessel has gone flat. When I had an engineer out to check it, he said the gas valve is passing. not only did he shut off the gas supply but he cut the gas line and fitted a block in the line.

This clearly prevents me from turning the gas back on to get a second opinion.

What he didnt know is that I had a boiler inspection conducted last month, and there was no sign of a leak then.

So now it looks like, the "you are covered from today" was a complete lie. The first sign of trouble and they claim it was a pre-existing problem. I also do not completely beleive that there is a fault; perhaps the engineer made up an issue to charge me for the repair. I know that is far fetched, but stranger things have happened.

My question is, how can they prove there was a pre-existing fault? How can I prove there wasn't? Who is the onus of proof on here; I beleive it is them.

Cheers
Jeff

I'd check out the terms and conditions you signed up to Jeff. If you are covered from the day you sign up then you are covered! I'd ask them to prove that it was a pre-existing fault, it shouldn't be up to you to prove it wasn't! Sounds like you got a gungho engineer on some kind of power trip!

I have spoken to EON again. I wasnt getting anywhere on the phone so asked to speak to a manager. She came on and said that "I AM COVERED" which is why I wasnt charged a callout charge. She also said that she is NOT an Engineer, and has to take the advice of the On site Engineer as he is the professional. He has apparently deemed this to be an existing fault which is why it is chargeable.

I explained to her that I had a boiler inspection carried out on 24 April, and part of the inspection was to test for gas leaks. The boiler passed the Let by Test, and Tightness test, indicating that no leak was present at that time.

She said that there would be evidence that this was a pre-existing condition; however when prompted for the evidence she was not able to supply it. She will call me back when they have made up some suitable excuse.

Lets hope that they admit defeat, and just fix my boiler....I need a shower.

GOOD NEWS!

Just got a call from EON. The engineer cant prove that the fault was pre-existing, and is coming to replace the gas valve tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers
Jeff

Good news Jeff! I'd like to see the face of the guy when he lands tail tucked between his legs :D

good to hear your problem with EON has been sorted in your favour.

I am failing to see what the engineer has done wrong here, he checked boiler, found an ID situation and made safe. I don't see why he'd be coming back with his tail between his legs.
ive contracted to a lot of the "big firms" and I wouldn't just fit a part on an initial inspection, I'd get permission off the office etc, which I bet he did and it was them who said no.
so I really am struggling to see why the poor guy is getting a hammering, hammer EON for poor customer service etc, but as far a i can see the engineer is right in his actions and has only doe what the office has said.
if it was me, there's no way I'd have my tail between my legs on the next visit, I'd be apologetic for the situation that has occurred, but in no way whatsoever would I be embarrassed of my actions.
the bloke has saved you from a potentially dangerous situation and taken the appropriate action, then followed bad advice from his office, which as an employee his is duty bound to do do. So I say fair play to him, when he comes back, make him a up of tea, let him fit the part and all is good :)

Last edited:
im with Tom, i dont think the engineer has done anything wrong. He was called out to a fault on the expansion vessel and found a ID situation. He may have possible worded it as existing fault on paperwork? who knows but it was existing at the time he attended the call out. It seems like its probably E-on proceedures that put up the barrier and tried to charge.

Working for a big company as an engineer you follow proceedure and fill in forms as required. Unless your pointed towards these things by proceedure, its unlikely you are going to be bothered who pays for what. Your job is to attend as many jobs as possible in your working day.

Why do these Co make people up to managers in charge of engineers when they have not got a clue about anything ? all you get from them I'm not an engineer !! I just get paid twice as much for working in an office . :21:

ive worked in an office at a big plumbing/heating company and its supprising the number of people who manage contracts, run services with no true knowledge of the work.

Its because they can talk the talk. We have 1 in our office like that and all the engineers know it but the bosses seem to love him. I just refuse to listen to any of the bull coming out of his mouth (I used to do 12 jobs a day I only had 1% call back rate) Yeah effing right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Replies
Views
Were in a similar-ish situation in that our...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back