Erratic central heating | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Erratic central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jtee

Season greetings.

Wonder if somebody can help with the latest problem I have with my central heating please. It’s an open, pumped system with a Potterton e60 boiler.

The central heating boiler and pump won’t come on unless the hot water is switched on. If I leave the central heating on with the water it stops working erratically. I then need to turn both off for a while – i.e. 30 mins – then switch it back on for it to start working again. It almost seems as though either the water is getting too hot and switching off the boiler or too much pressure is building up.

I did change the fuse box which the thermostat, timer and pump connect to and although I thought I put the wires back in the same place it sounds as though something is not quite right.

Although it’s not the end of the world having both on at the same time why would the heating keep closing down?

Any help would be much appreciated. I have so far changed the pump, thermostat and two rads. I don’t know whether it’s got anything to do with it but one of the rads, the lowest and possibly last on the system has hot water running into it but does not follow out. I have tried bleeding the rad and total systems but nothing works. Thought about flushing but need to guarantee that would help as it's costly!

Could it be the thermostat which is approx. 15 years old (Honeywell e40)?

Thanks.

What state was the pump in when you changed it? Loads of sludge, black etc or ok?

Try turning off other rads completely on order to force the water around the radiator which is not working.

Do you have a 2/3 port valve in the cupboard with cylinder, if so, this may not be working correctly.

Check for frozen pipes on the system, as this can give the same symptoms as a blockage.

Thanks Bronzino,

There was a blockage above the pump on the return; the water was unable to complete the circuit so emptied in the expansion tank. I replaced the pipework and every seemed to be resolved. I also replaced to old rads which had black slime in them. I have only two old rads left on a 6 rad system. When I drain the water from the system is IMAG0030.jpg pretty clear but then there could still be a partial blockage somewhere. It's not frozen pipes. I have a couple of pictures which show the valve.

IMAG0029.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the end decided to follow Chuck’s advice...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
L
Replies
Views
Back