Evil combi boiler, hot water cutting out | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Evil combi boiler, hot water cutting out in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daisydogbear

Hi, I hope somebody can give me a clue, although I stress I have no intention of trying to fiddle with the boiler myself! It is a Ferroli Optimax HE which apparently was installed 18 months ago, I don't know who by as we have just bought the house. The boiler itself should be under guarantee although the manufacturers claim the guarantee was never actioned. Basically when running a bath, the water runs hot with no problem, then suddenly cuts out. The pilot light doesn't go off; it's as if a safety valve had kicked in to say the water was too hot and turned it off, but the thermostat is set at a safe temperature. (I guessed that if boilers have such a thing as a thermocouple that this was faulty) None of the fault/error codes that come up on the boiler seem to apply to the manual, unhelpfully. I have had a Gassafe firm look at it who went through the manual exactly as I had done. After two hours the plumber (I am over fifty, so he looked about fifteen to me) and an apprentice concluded that there was nothing wrong with the boiler but that there might be a 'sticking valve'. He did not explain this except to say the valve should divert hot water to heating/water as appropriate. I am a laywoman and as the hot water doesn't work consistently whether the heating is on or off I can't see why this should make the slightest difference anyway. Therefore the hot water still doesn't work, no remedy has been suggested and I have a bill for a hundred and odd quid. Any explanation of what he meant, whether it would make a difference and alternative suggestions would we greatly appreciated.

hi ferroli would say that, but you need to call in a better gas safe registered installer to fix this problem :)

hi ferroli would say that, but you need to call in a better gas safe registered installer to fix this problem :)

Are Ferroli known for avoiding the issue then? And unfortunately we have only just moved here so we don't have any recommendations for plumbers ... how do you know a good one?

I didn't say I'd actually paid it ... but I am waiting for the boss of the firm to come back to me about it.

Worth a go, though the baby plumber seemed to think it wasn't the boiler. Would the mystery valve thing actually affect hot water?

Baby plumber lol.

There is truth to what he told you.
Some gas combi's have a diverter valve to divert hot water to heating and back, others like our combi boiler has a seperate hot water to heating circuit meaning no diverter, which ever it is there is always thermostatic/sensor control.
It could be the diverter, it could be sensor issues.
Try speaking to the boiler manufacturer with regards to fixed price repair, also consider another firm and second opinion.
Young 20 year old gas safe registered people may be qualified but not all have an abundance of experience.

Thank you - floundering in a position of no knowledge means I don't know whether he's just trying it on or not. The boiler is supposed to self diagnose if there's something not working - if it's sensor is broken would it know, or would it assume it was ok and think it was overheating therefore cut out? Sorry, I know nothing!!

They could be trying it on, without wanting to offend you some plumbers or firms see older people with little or no knowledge an easy target for extra money, I'm not saying thats the case here but it does happen.
Self diagnostic systems should register faults but they can't cover everything and might not register an intermitant fault at all.
I can't say anymore but I suggest you contact the boiler manufacturer and/or get a second opinion.

And I don't mind being called old and female, I totally appreciate your point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
My first thought when I heard this fault a...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
Back