Excessive water from Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Excessive water from Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NickP

Hi, I have a DeDietrich GTU1200V oil fired boiler and the instructions contain the following message

"When heating domestic hot water, a certain quantity of water can escape through the valve or the safety unit as a result of the expansion of water contained in the tank, this is normal"

This happens OK and there is a waste pipe to the outside of the building. As the weather here has been so cold, and I was worried about the pipe freezing I disconnected the outside waste pipe from the Boiler and have been collecting the water in a bucket in the garage where the boiler is situated. I am slightly surprised at the amount of water that come out of the boiler, up to 10 litres a day, It just seems to me (obviously not a plumber) a lot of wast water? Or as they say in the manual is that normal? p.s the manual makes no mention of water quantity

is it coming from the expansion or is the water level too high ? is the ball valve working ok?

is it coming from the expansion or is the water level too high ? is the ball valve working OK?

I believe it's coming from the expansion tank, I'm in France and there are no header tanks or ball valves apart from toilet cisterns in French water systems.

Edit: (19th Jan) Thinking about this excess water, Obviously this water comes from the water tank, when I wrote the expansion tank my brain was not in gear. There is a 130 litre tank under the boiler. It's just the amount that it chucks out that worries me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I do not think waste water is an issue in France. (unlike uk) However there is a guy that posts on here that lives in France, [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/members/plouasne.html"]Plouasne[/DLMURL] ask him. Good Luck

Hi. I do not think waste water is an issue in France. (unlike uk) However there is a guy that posts on here that lives in France, [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/members/plouasne.html"]Plouasne[/DLMURL] ask him. Good Luck

Cheers justlead1, Had to go this route as I can't send a pm until I have 5 posts( what I'd do wth five posts the mind boggles :confused:)

Mr Plouasne. As you can see someone suggested I ask you a question so here goes. Forgive me writing to you uninvited but my French is not brilliant and when I asked the local plombier, I just got the proverbial shrug, and I'm not sure whether that's good or bad?

I had fitted a new De Dietrich oil fired boiler in our French house. The waste water from the boiler runs into an outside pipe and as it gets a bit chilly here in the winter, Loir Et Cher, I uncoupled the pipe and directed it into a bucket in the building. I'm surprised with the amount of water it collects, about 10 litres a day, would that be normal? Apart from that the system seems good, and is a lot quieter and fuel efficient than the old one. Hope you can advise me and set my mind at rest. Many thanks NickP

Quick update: I have been told by a French Plumber that the 10 litres of water is condensate and is a sign that the boiler is working to maximum efficiency, also that the water produced is slightly acidic. Shame about that as you would hope to be able to use the water in some manner, any Ideas?

Hi, Nick you could fit an expansion vessel to the system to accommodate expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
In principle it's should not drip but in...
Replies
Views
Not sure if you've got to the bottom of this...
Replies
Views
Ideal Vouge 32 kw would suit 10 year...
Replies
Views
Back