Expansion tank problems | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Expansion tank problems in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy gee

I'm hoping that someone can help me. (I'm not a plumber but have a little idea of things.)

My heating/hot water system comprises of a cold water header tank in the loft, a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard with a pump and zone valves for HW & CH and an expansion tank in the loft.

The problem I have is that recently water has started to continuously feed from the vent pipe into the expansion tank. The vent pipe feeds from the pipe that comes from the boiler and goes to the pump. There is another pipe that feeds from the bottom of the expansion tank straight back to the boiler/pump pipe, only inches away from the vent pipe, so the water level in the expansion tank does not rise at all.

The hot water is not overheating, which rules out a faulty tank thermostat, ther water circulates into the expansion tank even when cold, which indicates that there is no problem with the boiler thermostat and all the radiators work perfectly, which indicates that there is no blockage in the system.

I am sure that this is something simple which I can't see for looking!

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Sounds like you have a partial blockage in the cold feed connection. Cut out the section of the primary flow containing the cold feed and primary vent and clean it out. I always reinstate this section of pipework using compression fittings and a sealing compound (e.g. Fernox LSX) to facilitate removal if the problem occurs again. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

see same. below on this as some one has had...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the reply, I followed your advice...
Replies
Views
Back