Expansion vessel - not ugly | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Expansion vessel - not ugly in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Looking for a small additional expansion vessel for a heating system to go next to a combi as there are a few big column rads in the house.
Ideally not something ugly :confused: so the standard red type is out.

I have seen some online pictures of a compact almost like a squashed football but no idea of the brand.
Any ideas?

Looking for a small additional expansion vessel for a heating system to go next to a combi as there are a few big column rads in the house.
Ideally not something ugly :confused: so the standard red type is out.

I have seen some online pictures of a compact almost like a squashed football but no idea of the brand.
Any ideas?
Thought they had to be red for the heating circuit?

Not as far as I know, I have fitted other colours that are for heating

It's more I need something that I can fit neatly above the boiler

Have a look at imi heating

IMG_2814.PNG

That's the little beauty

Looks familiar...
upload_2018-7-31_12-38-32.jpeg

EDIT - Though this is actually a CWSC I had to leave in place as it doubled as the flush cistern for the toilet on the floor below, via a valve on the flush pipe. At least now it only feeds the WC.

Last edited:
Who installed the cylinder?

I installed the cylinder. The Feed Cistern was separate from the CWSC shown and I did fit a new Combined Feed and Cold Water Storage cistern in the loft. The cistern shown does not, and never has, fed a cylinder.

However, as I understand that a flush valve operated WC is no longer permitted to be installed in domestic settings (if, indeed it ever was), I felt the best course of action was to leave that installation as it was and so nothing on the WC side has been changed.

NB - THE SPEEDFIT TO COIL WAS TEMPORARY, TO ALLOW HOT WATER OVERNIGHT IN PREPARATION FOR A DEDICATED CIRCUIT TO THE DHW CYLINDER! Don't want you to think I'd be happy leaving it like that :)

What would you have done?

I see thought someone had changed the cylinder and left the feed the same

God no. This was the feed cistern:
upload_2018-7-31_18-16-20.jpeg

The pipe elbow on the left is the vent, the pipe insulated and covered in string is the gravity feed from a home-made solar panel running direct into the feed cistern, and the ballcock is over on the far side where there is literally no access. (As I said, how on earth do you expect me to service that ballcock when I can't so much as touch it with an extended arm?) Amazingly, there is actually a lid (moved further to the right when I took this picture), but it has a slot cut in it for some obscure reason.

I replaced the cylinder and cistern and commented that the bathroom pipework was restrictive but we'd try leaving that for now: the hot water flow increased from 6l/min to 14l/m at the bath tap and the customer said that was more than good enough for her, plus the water actually gets hot now!

Old school soldered patch as well :)

Similar plumbing topics

Don't think that M.valves will pull in air...
Replies
Views
A resume of the outcome would be polite...Rob...
Replies
Views
Again, without an idea of system volume we're...
Replies
Views
Thread closed if you don't have something...
Replies
Views
Back