Expansion vessel position on unvented installation | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Expansion vessel position on unvented installation in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulusgg

Gas Engineer
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and at the moment I can't find an answer to a problem I have.
I fit a lot of unvented cylinders for a loft conversion company (I'm G3 competent) as very often they need to see the storage tanks gone from the loft.
The question for you lot is "is it acceptable to place the expansion vessel at low level or should it be at least as high as the water control set?"
I've read some posts discussing the orientation of the vessel, i.e. Schrader (car tyre ) type valve pointing up, down or sideways
, but nothing about the position of the vessel relative to the cylinder. Quite often, due to space limitations and servicing needs I've had to place the vessel at a low level, below the control set.

Thoughts and views welcome

As long as it is fitted to MIs and unvented regs, then anywhere near to the unvented cylinder is fine.
Going to be harder work every time the vessel needs replaced though, if it was fitted low.
I don't want to comment on any details on open forum, as I hate the thought of DIYers working on unvented reading to much.

Your ears would be burning if i followed you in to replace the vessel :)

Once the rant was over the cust would be told its extra money to replace and then they would be told the reason why :)

"Oh! You insidious swine!"

Summat like that you mean?

Or, our local term, - " What Hallion did this? "

"Hallion" is probably an Ulster/Scots word meaning a useless person, for those that are wondering.
Tends to be used for a person doing really rough throw it in workmanship.

Or, our local term, - " What Hallion did this? "

"Hallion" is probably an Ulster/Scots word meaning a useless person, for those that are wondering.
Tends to be used for a person doing really rough throw it in workmanship.

My favorite is what......... I Dee Ten Tee fitted this?

My favorite is what......... I Dee Ten Tee fitted this?

Took me a few minutes to work out what that meant! :smile:
That phrase is used here - sounds like this, " I dinney fit this! "

Translation book indicates the word yes but I'm lost in the matter of context Toxic

maybe exspansion vessels should come on a self closing valves like some aav's especially for lofts where theres often no room above

Hear we go gents, two birds killed with one stone or should I say fitting. http://www.advancedwater.co.uk/STOMEMO/A520-632-0001/AntiLegionella.pdf

1. it contains a servicing valve & D/O for those low level installs you all seem to hate.

2. no danger of Legionella build up if you have a long dead-leg of pipe to your L/L vessel install, so long as your mains goes through it.

Happy days !!

(well until you see the cost but if you want quality & an easy life later)

Hear we go gents, two birds killed with one stone or should I say fitting. http://www.advancedwater.co.uk/STOMEMO/A520-632-0001/AntiLegionella.pdf

1. it contains a servicing valve & D/O for those low level installs you all seem to hate.

2. no danger of Legionella build up if you have a long dead-leg of pipe to your L/L vessel install, so long as your mains goes through it.

Happy days !!

(well until you see the cost but if you want quality & an easy life later)
what happens if someone turns the service valve off? ( i do know by the way!):blush5:

what happens if someone turns the service valve off? ( i do know by the way!):blush5:
Same thing as happens when it isn't maintained & looses it's charge!!!! (two tiers of protection are in place in UK).

Did you know, in other parts of the world,, who run these systems, they don't have any means to take up the expansion when the water is heated preferring instead to just rely on safety valve if the pressure goes to high.

[QUOTE

Did you know, in other parts of the world,, who run these systems, they don't have any means to take up the expansion when the water is heated preferring instead to just rely on safety valve if the pressure goes to high.[/QUOTE]

That's what we do in our part of the globe.
Very rare to have expansion vessel on domestic hot water system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks again for your help. Having got hold of...
Replies
Views
A resume of the outcome would be polite...Rob...
Replies
Views
Again, without an idea of system volume we're...
Replies
Views
  • Question
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
Back